Shutter speed

A little more information would be helpful; I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at or what the setting is.

What happened to Post no 1? :boggled:

I don't see it.

No%20Post%201.jpg

I'm not sure what it is either, but this is the EXIF data:

Camera Maker: PENTAX Corporation
Camera Model: PENTAX K10D
Image Date: 2010-05-24 20:20:48 -05:00
Focal Length: 29.0mm (35mm equivalent: 43mm)
Aperture: ƒ/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (Auto)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Macintosh

Based on the information given, or lack there of, this sounds like a case of R.T.F.M.

Aperture: ƒ/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 200

See: exposure triangle.

sacrifice ISO or DOF to gain shutter speed.

What the heck is that picture even of? It looks like a charcol drawing, not sure what "action" you expect to freeze there...

I am having trouble getting the shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action. Can you help me?

http://41.media.tumblr.com/2e843992244939e4eca2ddcc5150a707/tumblr_n1p14qqGHx1r98cn7o9_1280.jpg

You were in Auto program mode so you let the camera decide everything. 1/60s shutter speed will not freeze a moving subject. As mentioned, shutter priority, or manual mode will give you the ability to increase shutter speed.

Would be a good pick for "what is it?" thread. I'm curious as well. 35mm lens.

I am having trouble getting the shutter speed fast enough to freeze the action.

As already mentioned
in AUTO mode you are letting the Camera DECIDE what settings to use to ISO, Shutter and Aperture. You aren't having the problem. The camera is deciding wrong for you. It doesn't know what you are pointing the camera at.

To Correct Shutter speed you need to be in Shutter Priority. This will allow YOU to Decide how fast of shutter is needed to stop the motion of the .... of the .... of the fish swimming in a tank ??? or oddly shaped balloon. Martian ?

Then the camera will decide an appropriate ISO and Aperture to compensate to get a shot.

BUT this may still not be correct.
You may want to be in Manual mode to Select the appropriate Aperture (for depth of field) and appropriate Shutter (to stop the motion of the Martian about to attack you), and if you let ISO be AUTOmatic then you could possible get the image before you are transported to their spaceship. :)

just kidding, but I think we're clueless on what the image is.

didn't edit the image .. just replicated it.

OK, so what the heck IS it? A microscopic spore? A weather balloon? A humongous space alien the size of Cincinatti?

Most reactions

Back