Sigma 120-300mm with 1.4tc vs sigma 150-600 S

Tyguy35

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I had just made a thread similar to this one but I have decided to restart and get everyone's opinion on these lenses compared.

My main goal is sharpness.
I will be doing another shoot in Costa Rica for a lodge. The birds and other animals will not be to far away. ( about 4 m ). Heavy is not an issue.

For those who have tried both which lens performs better in all normal circumstances as well as shaded light or sun setting conditions.

I have a tamron gen 1 150-600mm. Not the sharpest but knowing that I own the tamron could sways anyone's decision.

I also tend to shoot at the zoo a lot which entitles indoor shooting which I jus could do with the tamron withough boosting the ISO way way up.

What would you pick?

Thanks.

I have never used a 120-300 from Sigma but heard it was sharp, but like any zoom it's not as good as the big primes like their own 300mm f/2.8. Some of the reviews I read on it was that it was as good as Nikon and Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lenses in optical performance. I was looking at one that KEH had for sale. I ended up getting a used 400mm f/2.8. Already have 300mm f/2.8's. I also have a Sigma 150-500 lens which is very acceptable to me picture wise. Heard the newer generations 150-600's are even touch better picture quality wise.

For the sharpest picture primes are the answer. Not sure what system you use. But KEH has a good selection of the big primes used. Not sure the size of the animals either. But if buying a 120-300 is in the cards, maybe a prime 300 or even 400 might be in your price range??

Primes are not in the budget. I am in Canada. I only really know of two places that sell used. They don't have most lenses though. I can't afford to buy in the USA either with our dollar.

Well if sharpness it important then a TC is not the answer. TC's magnify the image, they also magnify every fault the lens has, photos are softer, CA more prominent etc.

Ok but is the 120-300 still sharper even with a tc?

Who knows. There are too many variables to be able to tell unless you test it your self.

It's a special order lens here with full payment no returns so I can't really test it.

Is the 300 pf a better option.

Most reactions

Back