SLR or Something digital for newb?

I got my D50 for 350 off Craigslist. Came with a lens, carrying care and 1GIG of SD memory. Depending on how your negotiating skills are, you should be able to haggle someone down to your budget range. 1000 for a "newbie" is just far too much to spend on a hobby you may NOT stick with. Someone is selling a D30 in your area for 350 - Im sure you can haggle him down to 300 (only thing is it comes with a 35-80MM lens).

He hasn't replied to my email :(

Let me ask, I know it's not a full out DSLR, but would the Fujifilm Finepix S9000 9MP with 10.7x Wide Optical Zoom (28-300mm zoom) be a good buy for a newb? It's got great reviews on Amazon from newbs and pros alike. The good things I see about it is 1. No switching lenses and all the benefits that go along with that, 2. Good ISO (most say up to 400 or 800 with lil noise), 3. Manual controls, 3. Shutter speed 1/4000, 4. $400 price tag brand new. Like you say this is a hobby I "may" not stick with. So would it be better to buy something like this that's seemingly so close to a DSLR and learn with it how to use the controls etc. and use it photography within it's limits and then upgrade to an all out DSLR if I so see fit. Or even possible to buy this one and later buy a film SLR?

I'm not going to be a pro right off the bat and be shooting ballgames, racing, and magazine worthy landscapes until I learn the settings and how to actually USE a camera in the highend range. Really just trying to do the smartest thing for a pure beginner :D (going to search forums here for info on the Fuji and see what past posters have said).

I really appreciate everyone's help on this matter.

lol sorry, the more I look the more questions I have :p

There's no escaping it to take really good nature / Sports pics what you need is An EOS 1 DS Mk 2 & a full fit of "l" series lenses.

Meanwhile back in the real world...

Get the best you can afford. digital is the way it is going to be from now until the end of the forseable future.. you need the money for a decent, recent second hand digital set up (EOS 350 / 300 body + 200mm zoom. *Bigger zooms are better for wild life*. or nikon / well known make equivalent). printer / computer and some paper. Plenty of shots will help you get better. and give you time to save up for the better kit.
Don't get hung up on the gear until someone offers you a pro contract....

So you think this would be a good deal? :D lol don't know if it'll fit in my price range now or not, will have to see, but so far so good.

The following is included in this auction:
  • (1) Digital Rebel 300D Camera Body and all cables, manuals, software and neck strap
  • (1) EF-S 18- 55 mm Lens
  • (1) EF 75 - 300 mm Lens
  • (1) Battery
  • (1) PNY 1 GB Memory Card
  • (1) Lexar 512 MB Memory Card
  • (2) Lens Hoods
  • (2) Quantaray UV Lens Filter's
  • (1) Battery Charger
  • (1) Extended Warranty (good thru 2/1/2009)

That's almost everything you need except for maybe a polarizer and an extra battery.

Those lenses would fit your needs well, with the 18-55 for landscape shots and the 75-300 for sports.

Haha finally brought it up to her today. Of course she gave me the whole "that's my (her) dream" spill she normally does when I do something she wanted, (was an extra in Talladega Nights). Anywho, we didn't speak on cost yet lol, but I told her "I wanna a REAL, I mean REAL, camera." So we'll see later. I'm hoping to get this one listed cuz as CMan said it has everything I need really minus a few filters and odds and ends.

Should be able to borrow family's copy of Photshop too to put on the home comp. Don't know about a good printer yet...got a Lexmark X125 all in one right now and never opened the printing ink to try it.

Don't know about the price, But the rest is about as good as you need. If you are starting out you will need practice and this looks like th BIZ. PhotoShop elements is quite cheap and there are a lot of other progs. PhotoShop IS the best to pass on your results with. But it's expensive and if you only want to make prints you can find lots of others until you start to fly on your own.
Printers are really good enough even at buget level, The more you pay the better the bells and whistles. but as long as you can print at 300 DPI you are in the ball park.
Good Luck.

Man, it's up to $530 right now with an hour to go. I'm only thinking of going to $600 and not 100% sure about that :(

Ok I didn't get it. I did bid $550...plus $20 for shipping, but I resolved to not go any higher...besides it was within 30 secs of the end of the auction. It ended up going for $605 with shipping, so still over what I set as my limit.

Gonna keep looking.

I've found quite a few places that sell Nikon D50's and D70 kits for around $500 like: D70S Digital SLR w/18-70MM F3.5-4.5G AF-S DX Lens for $440...sposed to be new lol. What's the difference between them?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back