Small Business Opportunities

dewal.b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am curious to hear from those of you who have taken the leap of faith to start your own small businesses successfully. For years I have been wanting to take my creativity, art and photography to the next level - one where I can hopefully make some money.
I'd really like to hear from you who have done the same and have had a great experience with it over all. Pointers, tips, advice even criticism on my next venture is all welcome.

Looking forward to hearing your comments and feedback!

Bre

Fortunately, I have had different opportunities to work with many photographers as well as went to school specifically for arts and digital arts. It's always been a passion.
I know what it takes to produce something worthwhile, it's more or less a matter of the business side of things that I don't have as much experience in. How to go about setting up a business, even if I start small, and just dapple in it until I feel I am ready enough to start making some good money out of it.

Is it just as simple as registering my business name, doing taxes and all my accounting? Or is there more to it?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

there are threads on this more than once a week and they all have the same information.
read through the business forum.

The_Traveler said:
there are threads on this more than once a week and they all have the same information.
read through the business forum.

I know it probably gets annoying to read the same question over and over. Unfortunately for me, I don't have much time in my day to search through the forums for my answer. I would much rather ask it myself and find out what my options are from those responding. Once I have some time off from work I can take a little more time to read through the other posts.
Thank you!

@Bitter Jeweler;
I have always assumed it required much more than that, which is why I have been taking so long to get into it. I am scared that I will be totally unprepared once my business is registered. It's good to know it isn't as hard as I had initially imagined.

Thank you!

Bre

Yup! I think I did it all online to boot. Of course you're in Canada, so there may be differences.

Here, I registered a business name, got a federal tax ID#, applied for a vendors license, all online.
This may vary by state, but in Ohio you have to file your sales tax even it is zero, or you can be charged late penalty fees.
It was all pretty easy.

Bitter Jeweler said:
Yup! I think I did it all online to boot. Of course you're in Canada, so there may be differences.

Here, I registered a business name, got a federal tax ID#, applied for a vendors license, all online.
This may vary by state, but in Ohio you have to file your sales tax even it is zero, or you can be charged late penalty fees.
It was all pretty easy.

That's awesome! I know I can register my business online here, as for the other stuff I have yet to find out but I think it's fairly easy.
The only thing is, I feel like I would be "jumping the gun" so to speak, if I registered everything now without having anything set up; website, portfolio, etc... How did you go about it?

Getting setup can be pretty easy. I think the toughest thing for me was setting up my state sales tax. and thanks for reminding me bitter, im late for this month.

But aside from that there is a lot of learning to do once your setup to make sure your doing things right. When I started out I thought it would be as simple as throwing up a website and poof, but the more you get into it, the more you realise that your going to be learning more about things that have nothing to do with photography then when you learned photography. The hard part isn't getting things setup. the hard part is doing things properly so you don't shoot yourself in the foot down the line. Think of it like driving a car, it's easy to get in a car, stick the key in turn it on and put it in gear and hit the gas. but that doesnt mean you know how to drive a car. it just makes you dangerous.

And I almost didn't respond when I read you were so busy that you didn't have time to search thru posts. That to me tells me you don't have enough time to run your own business if your not able to even look up the information on your own.

in the state of Florida, you have to register you DBA with the state, submit a legal ad in the local news paper, if you are a sole proprietor then u can file taxes under your social security number, if you open a LLC or hire employees you have to file for a tax ID, and if you operate out of a store front you have to register locally with the tax office. Thats pretty much it as far as legality. The rest is education and talent mixed with business.

I did it for another type of business. I quit a job, and in less than a month started my own.

If I were doing this for a photography business as a side income, I would have my portfolio and website finished first, then start the business, and "launch", so to speak.

I wouldn't bother until you start having demand for your services, and are charging.

12sndsgood said:
Getting setup can be pretty easy. I think the toughest thing for me was setting up my state sales tax. and thanks for reminding me bitter, im late for this month.

But aside from that there is a lot of learning to do once your setup to make sure your doing things right. When I started out I thought it would be as simple as throwing up a website and poof, but the more you get into it, the more you realise that your going to be learning more about things that have nothing to do with photography then when you learned photography. The hard part isn't getting things setup. the hard part is doing things properly so you don't shoot yourself in the foot down the line. Think of it like driving a car, it's easy to get in a car, stick the key in turn it on and put it in gear and hit the gas. but that doesnt mean you know how to drive a car. it just makes you dangerous.

And I almost didn't respond when I read you were so busy that you didn't have time to search thru posts. That to me tells me you don't have enough time to run your own business if your not able to even look up the information on your own.

Well thank you for responding, it's much appreciated. My weekly work schedule is what keeps me busy, as well - being a Nanny of four kids for 9-12 hours a day doesn't allow me a whole lot of time to sit around. I do most of my research and writing on the forums while cooking breakfast, or if I am lucky and the kids want to play outside. Luckily this isn't a "forever" job... The time I dedicate to my research and photography right now is mostly during my downtime after work or on weekends. I am fully aware that it is a hard job and that I will have to take it very seriously, and I am fully prepared to make it priority. I've wanted this for years and I have exactly what it takes.

Anyhow, I am glad to have learned the skills previously through school, assisting photographers and such. It's one less thing I have to worry about. Really it's just the business side of things I need to learn - I am sure it'll be a lot of trial and error, and head aches... But as I said, I am fully driven for this. So I will make it work.

Thank you again for responding, I don't mind when people challenge me - it's a good test of character, and for myself to find out if I am ready for this or not.

Bitter Jeweler said:
I did it for another type of business. I quit a job, and in less than a month started my own.

If I were doing this for a photography business as a side income, I would have my portfolio and website finished first, then start the business, and "launch", so to speak.

I wouldn't bother until you start having demand for your services, and are charging.

That's exactly how I figured I would do it. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. One step at a time. Thanks Bitter!

12sndsgood said:

Well thank you for responding, it's much appreciated. My weekly work schedule is what keeps me busy, as well - being a Nanny of four kids for 9-12 hours a day doesn't allow me a whole lot of time to sit around. I do most of my research and writing on the forums while cooking breakfast, or if I am lucky and the kids want to play outside. Luckily this isn't a "forever" job... The time I dedicate to my research and photography right now is mostly during my downtime after work or on weekends. I am fully aware that it is a hard job and that I will have to take it very seriously, and I am fully prepared to make it priority. I've wanted this for years and I have exactly what it takes.

Anyhow, I am glad to have learned the skills previously through school, assisting photographers and such. It's one less thing I have to worry about. Really it's just the business side of things I need to learn - I am sure it'll be a lot of trial and error, and head aches... But as I said, I am fully driven for this. So I will make it work.

Thank you again for responding, I don't mind when people challenge me - it's a good test of character, and for myself to find out if I am ready for this or not.

Iv'e just recently opened my doors, So the last 6 months have been spent on doing a lot of research, most of my time hasn't been on photography at all. I luckily had the oppurtunity to have 5 months off work (oppurtunity sounds nicer then being laid off) to dig in and learn as much as I can. After that time I think now I know enough that my head is almost above water half of the time if i'm lucky. Now that i'm back to work and working almost an hour away from home time management has become extremly critical for me, Heck iv'e uploaded the app for this site on my cell phone so I can read when i'm out and about, or on lunch break or out of the office with a few spare minutes. So that will become very important for you. As bitter said, work on getting a portfolio built, work on getting a great website built. work on finding out all the important things you need to think about like your liscences and taxes. and insurance, contracts, etc. etc.find out all that information before you hit the start button.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back