Smaller graduated neutral density filter?

150mph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for "smallest is best" camera gear for backpacking.

One of the larger photo stores in the area has told me there is no smaller GND filter and holder than the one he sold me, shown here:
http://planetrambler.com/gradientfilter-holder.jpg

This holder and filter is DOUBLE/TWICE the size I need for my lens/needs. It's made to fit almost every lens, big and small. I'm looking for lens and holder that only covers my lens diameter (inside of steel ring, bottom right)

Is there a such a graduated neutral density filter and holder on the market? I envision a screw on with add'l rotating filter attached, maybe with tick marks so you could tell where the gradient begins/ends.

TIA!

I'm looking for "smallest is best" camera gear for backpacking.

One of the larger photo stores in the area has told me there is no smaller GND filter and holder than the one he sold me, shown here:
http://planetrambler.com/gradientfilter-holder.jpg

This holder and filter is DOUBLE/TWICE the size I need for my lens/needs. It's made to fit almost every lens, big and small. I'm looking for lens and holder that only covers my lens diameter (inside of steel ring, bottom right)

Is there a such a graduated neutral density filter and holder on the market? I envision a screw on with add'l rotating filter attached, maybe with tick marks so you could tell where the gradient begins/ends.

TIA!

Keep in mind that smallest, especially in filters like this, is not always best. You need a filter that is wide enough to cover the widest field of veiw of you widest lens and wider than the largest filter size for any lens you might want to put it on. The weight difference in these size filters is minuet and the size difference is in cm's.

You can also get NDs and G-NDs as regular screw-in filters.

The ND screw in is a good idea since it prevents light leaking onto the dust on your lens and producing ugly splotches, but every NDGrad filter I've seen in screw in form has been a grad directly through the middle of the frame, significant only because we're taught that putting your horizon in the middle makes for a boring photo.

The NDGrad would almost require a holder like the Cokin one to be more useful than a hindrance.

You can also get NDs and G-NDs as regular screw-in filters.

The ND screw in is a good idea since it prevents light leaking onto the dust on your lens and producing ugly splotches, but every NDGrad filter I've seen in screw in form has been a grad directly through the middle of the frame, significant only because we're taught that putting your horizon in the middle makes for a boring photo.

The NDGrad would almost require a holder like the Cokin one to be more useful than a hindrance.

Yep! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back