Smart phone taking better pics than Canon EOS T5

codyj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

Passing through death valley, ca I snapped a couple pictures and my smartphone seems to take better pics (attached). Does anyone else have a Cannon T5? Any suggestions?

I had the camera set to "P" mode and the lens was not zoomed (i.e. camera should be in 18mm mode and should be taking pictures with wider angles).

please see pictures on Flickr here cody j

What kind of camera would you have used in such a location?

Last edited:
Without knowing what you were doing with the two devices, its difficult to tell.
Additionally the settings on the Canon may have been such that the lower contrast was the end result.

Can you provide a bit more detail?

thanks.

What settings should I be looking for? The zoom was not used (i.e. the telescope lens not extended).

Shouldn't the canon be taking standard 18mm pictures and shouldn't they be wider?

pics are on Flickr here cody j

Without knowing what you were doing with the two devices, its difficult to tell.
Additionally the settings on the Canon may have been such that the lower contrast was the end result.

Can you provide a bit more detail?

thanks.

Simply put, it depends.
The 18mm setting means a wider field of view. (more overall detail, but smaller detail at the same time.)

Looking at the images, the smart phone may have had its ratio set to a wider image.
The Canon looks like its set to a 1:1 crop. (square image rather than rectangular).

Hello everyone!

Passing through death valley, ca I snapped a couple pictures and my smartphone seems to take better pics (attached). Does anyone else have a Cannon T5? Any suggestions?

I had the camera set to "P" mode and the lens was not zoomed (i.e. camera should be in 18mm mode and should be taking pictures with wider angles).

Cody, welcome to whatever this forum is!
There’s actually a very simple explanation, I thought everybody knew this?!
I’ve had it happen numerous times and since I shoot with a Canon 1Dx the results are even more pronounced than with your T5!!
Your T5 is much larger and has a LOT more surface area than your iPhone. AND since you were at Badwater you were at 282 feet below sea level. Your T5 is calibrated for sea level shooting where it’s at equilibrium with the pressure inside the camera as well as outside.
Now at Badwater you are so far below sea level that the camera has several atmospheres of PSI on it. Now both camera’s are at the same added pressure but the DSLR being much larger than the iPhone it has a LOT more surface area so the pressure in it is way greater than the pressure inside of it. So the T5 is struggling not to implode and you’re adding the extra expectation that it take a decent picture at the same time!! Not gonna happen with such a big surface camera.
The iPhone is so small and skinny that it feels almost zero photographic effect from the added PSI so will always take a better pic at Badwater!!!
It’s obvious and good that you drove out slowly or the T5 could have suffered a catastrophic embolism and actually EXPLODED!!!
I just hope I explained it well enough that you were able to understand it!!!
Cody, again welcome but be careful because there are some here that will just bullsh*t you!!! LoL
SS

Hello everyone!

Hello and welcome!

Last edited:
Yes, I think I need to adjust the aspect ratio for a wider picture. However, as far as picture quality goes I'm not sure if it's worth the extra money keeping this camera?

Simply put, it depends.
The 18mm setting means a wider field of view. (more overall detail, but smaller detail at the same time.)

Looking at the images, the smart phone may have had its ratio set to a wider image.
The Canon looks like its set to a 1:1 crop. (square image rather than rectangular).

Okay, searched the manual and Canon has an option of up to 16:9 aspect ratio - anyone see any disadvantages to this?

Okay, searched the manual and Canon has an option of up to 16:9 aspect ratio - anyone see any disadvantages to this?
Try it. See if you like it.

Keep it civil please.

Ok.. Back to the OP.

If you can, post the metadata of both photos.
This will help determine the way the cameras recorded the images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back