Snowy Colorado Mountain in the Clouds

cgipson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Another shot from this past weekend. Off Highway 14 heading about an hour east of Walden Co. First time using Silver Efex Pro... comments definitely welcome

7161773543_3f0dca8cae_b.jpg

Snowy Colorado Mountain by CGipson Photography, on Flickr

Again.. looks better on Flickr! :)

Great shot! I just find the forest to be a bit too dark :(

-ken Turner

I'm guessing the dark parts of the forrest are shadows from clouds,..i kinda like. I do like the clouds, wonder if the snow can be a bit whiter. Why does the edge of the mountains against the sky look fake-ish? almost too finite, like a perfect line. Did you select the sky and edit it to bring out the clouds more?

ver, very, very nice. one of the best b/w i've seen since film.

Great shot! I just find the forest to be a bit too dark :(

-ken Turner

I was questioning that too.. but with the variances in tone from the overhead clouds.. anything lighter started look fake to me. Might give it another go though....

I'm guessing the dark parts of the forrest are shadows from clouds,..i kinda like. I do like the clouds, wonder if the snow can be a bit whiter. Why does the edge of the mountains against the sky look fake-ish? almost too finite, like a perfect line. Did you select the sky and edit it to bring out the clouds more?

Yep.. dark parts are cloud cover! I could lighten the snow a touch more.. just didn't want to blow it out. The edge of the ridges had the snow melted off.. that was one of the things I liked about this, was how defined the rock was against the clouds. You are right though.. it does look a bit fake. I might have oversharpened a hair too... ;)

Great looking photo one day I will be able to do that

ver, very, very nice. one of the best b/w i've seen since film.

Unpopular... thank you! I really like this shot... and I think I am really going to like Silver Efex Pro! It makes the conversions much easier than PS does... better control and all!

Someone been playing around with those color filters. Very good plugin software. I'm going to have to review the photo more. It kind of reminds of a film negative before it's processed.

Someone been playing around with those color filters. Very good plugin software. I'm going to have to review the photo more. It kind of reminds of a film negative before it's processed.

lol.. Busted! Glad you like it! :)

I think I will stick to traditional methods. But this is a very impressive conversion nonetheless. Congrats on the image

RE the trees, I'd like to see a little more detail in some areas, but overall mean luminance should remain similar.

unpopular said:
I think I will stick to traditional methods. But this is a very impressive conversion nonetheless. Congrats on the image

RE the trees, I'd like to see a little more detail in some areas, but overall mean luminance should remain similar.

Good point on the trees. The trees detail would made my eyes lead the way to the mountain top.

Last edited:
Unpopular and Ibyte... if you would like to download and edit the shot.. feel free to do so. I would like to see what you come up with . I could make the larger Flickr shot available if you prefer....

Can't do much with this version, you should know that. Post the original color version?

Computer is dead, but will be back in a few (several) hours.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back