manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I'm at a bit of a loss here.

The D800 is solid. The 36mp thing is annoying and ridiculous, but it's hard to ignore the fact that at least on paper, the two cameras are EXTREMELY similar.

Pros for the D4

- New memory card format
- Ethernet
- 11fps (if you need that... I don't)
- 1 click better ISO than D800

Pros for the D800

- USB3
- 36mp (if you need that... I don't)
- $3,000 LESS!

That $3K is a lot of cash... I could buy some accessories and the remaining lens to fill out the holy trinity. Hard to ignore.

I keep thinking "well, gee, the photosite sensor size on the D4 is like 60% bigger... that's going to translate to better image quality"... but in truth, I have no way of knowing that.

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear them.

I see they use the same sensor in both cameras but slowed the D800 wayyyyy down in regards to speed and decreased ISO performance by throwing all those megapixels at it.

Protected the sales of the D4 for sure.

I see they use the same sensor in both cameras but slowed the D800 wayyyyy down in regards to speed and decreased ISO performance by throwing all those megapixels at it.
Protected the sales of the D4 for sure.
Agree.
I think they realized "mistake" they made with D3/D700 and trying to undo the damage. I noted on a different thread about this HIGH MP count - I sure hope that technology is well advanced enough for quality NOT to be sacrificed, as we saw with D3x and D3s. But time will tell.
What is interesting, at least to me, is going back 3 yrs ago until now, d3, d3x, d3s and d700 were Fx directed at professional market while D300 and d300s were dx on the same market; now with D4, it is directed towards pros, while d800 is towards prosumers/consumers - at least that is the overall feel I am getting from reading anything about these cameras on various sites.
For now, I'll stick with my D700 and 300s as primary units.

I'm at a toss up. Do I splurge beyond my current means and buy the pinnacle of cameras, a $6K body? I have a D700 so I'm good on low light, do I buy the D800 to compliment my kit with it's outstanding resolution?

I'm also considering a used D3 or D700 as a second body but unless prices drop on those I can't see paying $500-1000 less on a used body.

That's a lot of pixels crammed into the sensor on the D800. I would probably wait for actual reviews (of both cameras) before pulling the trigger. If you have to buy a camera now, I'd say go with the D4. I'm skeptical about the D800 at this time.

its alot of mp in that sensor but Nikon will never never put a camera on the market that is worse than its predecessor so technically, its going to be better than the d700, probably not comparable to the d4 but its going to be a GREAT camera. lets say the d700 is used for weddings by many professionals, the d800 is just going to be better. Studio shooters and the one who shoots in a more controlled environment who need all these mp is going to jump on it. larger pixel density or not, at the end if the camera is controlling the noise nicely, some people could be surprised our well this camera will do in low light. Personally, i shoot studio and controlled lighting most of the time so this why i love my d7000s. i will buy a d800 eventually.

It depends only get a D4 if you are doing sports. If you need a camera for landscapes and portraits get a D800. Looking at the specs and realizing what you normally shoot will help. I'm in the market for a mint D3.

its alot of mp in that sensor but Nikon will never never put a camera on the market that is worse than its predecessor so technically, its going to be better than the d700, probably not comparable to the d4 but its going to be a GREAT camera.

I agree, but I highly doubt the D800 is the D800 is the D700 predecessor. Mainly because when the reps talk about it, they say "The D800, which stands alongside the D700 in the lineup", and the fact that it is clearly nothing like the D700. The D800 is a new line, or the D3x replacement. The D700 replacement will be something else, if there ever is one. Most will say it won't be replaced until a D3s or D4 sensor is in a D800 body.

That being said, I currently have a D800 and D800E on preorder. I'm seriously thinking about taking my name off the list for the D800E. It's just too much of a risk for moiré in the videos. I feel like a simple +01px smart sharpen will do the same thing as removing the $300 filter. But, time will tell. I am, however, pretty worried about the camera shake debacle. I really hope it's not as bad as everyone's putting it out to be.

Another thing is that I've only seen one sample photo above ISO640. There is one of a model on the roof of a building at ISO800, and the noise looks pretty awful. Hopefully it's from brightening up the sky in post, and not from the camera. If the noise is seriously that bad, it's worse than my D300s. I honestly doubt Nikon would put out a camera this bad at ISO if it's true, though. Especially a co-flagship FX model. If the camera is as clean as the D700 until ISO800, I'll be happy. Preferably ISO1600, but I'd be okay with the former.

If the ISO stands its ground, I won't worry about picking up a D3 for a while. I was originally thinking about a D3 and 24-70 instead of this beast, but the price just doesn't work out, and I need the video, and would like the metering and AF. The D4 is just far too much out of my price range.

Mark

Actually Mark, Scott Kelby says the 800 is the 700 replacement, and the D400 to replace the D300 series is the only one Nikon has yet to announce and it will be soon.

Actually Mark, Scott Kelby says the 800 is the 700 replacement, and the D400 to replace the D300 series is the only one Nikon has yet to announce and it will be soon.

I don't understand why, here:

and In the actual press release:

it says it stands alongside it, though. You very well could be right, I'm just going off of what I hear..

Anddd, case in point about the ISO. Ouchhh.

ISO800.jpg

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back