So, do I get to call myself a professional now?

Think about what you are asking, I don't sell any of my work, why would I pay for a website to showcase what is not for sale? :1398: I also do not subscribe to any social media for personal reasons.
If you have a worthy cause I believe in though I would be happy to help any way I can. Just ask.
Have a great day and God Bless.

What's that saying they use in the south?

Well, bless your heart!

@AlanKlein Thanks! I actually have a lot of business savvy since I took two failing art centers and made them succeed again. :) My mom says I get it from my dad, which must be true because I went to art school, not business school. Hopefully my biggest problem will (eventually) be having to say no to jobs because I want to limit my plate to how many I take to avoid burnout.

Hear, hear! :) It appears a lot of people do photography because they see dollar signs in it and want to hike up prices as far as possible. It has a detrimental effect of how people perceive photographers I'm afraid.

You have such a weird attitude. lol
Weird?
I have been called selfless. A humanitarian. Kind. Giving. Not by myself, as I consider myself to be just an ordinary person trying to do what they can to help out in the world. I donate time and my photography skills to many retirement homes and other charities locally without compensation and I donate money when I am able. I guess if that makes me weird then I am but I wish it were the norm and not something different or weird. I suppose I should consider that a compliment from someone driven by the almighty dollar more than art or people. I don't know if you really are such a person, but your comments seem to suggest that much. If not, I sincerely apologize.

That's great and all, but you seem to have an issue when photographers charges what they're worth, as if that's a bad thing. That's very judgmental and weird/strange.

I donate my time to help local AIDS organization, wounded warriors, active military members, poor families. My work is worth a lot. It's also my full time profession and not a part time thing that do on the side. So when I donate, people know I give up a lot without asking anything in return. So no you're not the only one. I don't need to tell people or act holier than thou about it.

Also, I grew up in a war torn 3rd world country so yeah I know what it's like to live in poverty. But, I also know what it takes to work hard to provide for my family. So, your attitude seems even more strange to put it in a nice way. In the sea of photographers charging next to nothing, a few of us worked our butt off to thrive and charge more than everyone. It seems like you're try to shame those who have worked hard to make it. IMHO, doing photography part time and giving your work away is the easy way. However, if that's what people want to do... hey go for it.

Last edited:
I guess your opinion of what a photographer is worth and mine differ, I think it would be great if all photographers charged what they are worth, and not what they think they should be worth. :)

I donate my time to help local AIDS organization, wounded warriors, active military members, poor families. My work is worth a lot. It's also my full time profession and not a part time thing that do on the side. So when I donate, people know I give up a lot without asking anything in return. So no you're not the only one. I don't need to tell people or act holier than thou about it.
Then why did you? :)

Doing photography part time and giving your work away is the easy way.. LOL

Easier said than done, my friend, if it was so easy everyone would give away all their work for free. It's not an easy thing to do, trust me. It's tempting to charge for a photo and make money for what you do, especially when there are bills to pay, but by staying the course and following what you believe and not giving in to temptation, God will always provide. At least that's been my experience.
My full time profession is working for a non-profit organization and that often includes taking photos, so I am also a professional photographer on those days. :D

I guess your opinion of what a photographer is worth and mine differ, I think it would be great if all photographers charged what they are worth, and not what they think they should be worth. :)

You charge what the clients are willing to pay, not what other photographers think you should charge.

Then why did you? :)

I don't really need to but since you're acting holier than thou so I just want to throw it out there.:D

Easier said than done, my friend, if it was so easy everyone would give away all their work for free. It's not an easy thing to do, trust me. It's tempting to charge for a photo and make money for what you do, especially when there are bills to pay, but by staying the course and following what you believe and not giving in to temptation, God will always provide. At least that's been my experience.
My full time profession is working for a non-profit organization and that often includes taking photos, so I am also a professional photographer on those days. :D

I did that the first several years of my career when I had a full time job and photography was just a side thing. It was easy because I never really have to give up much. There's always my full time job to fall back on. Now, I give up a lot when I donate but I still do. So sure if that's what you want to do part time and donate your work, go for it. I'm not going to judge you but don't act all holier. People out there are doing the same, while giving up a whole lot more.

Last edited:
Whatever, I think you have beat this to death for long enough, we know you are charging more than you could and I think we know why. Let the OP have her thread back, please.

I think that seems like an inconsiderate thing to say to Vtec, to imply he's overcharging, when he works hard from what I've read in his posts on the board. He seems to take pride in his work and does it well. Why on earth should someone not charge for photography?? It's a service and/or product, and other businesses charge for their work and products. Do other service providers do work and not get paid? Hardly, we get paid for our work whatever it may be. That's fine to donate your time or your photography to retirement homes or other charitable causes, but that's different than doing photography as a job.

Back to the OP, I think your description of your work seems accurate, I've done sports and events and I can see where there's room for improvement with framing shots, consistency in quality, etc. So if it's not necessary to work or make money from your photography, why not spend time on learning and practicing and bringing up your skill level so you can provide good quality photos at a fair price? It seems like it would be a better option to consider other ways to make money if that's what you're going for, and work up to building up a photography business.

It seems like people often have an initial rush of people liking their photos or wanting their photos, but then it tapers off and reality kicks in when they start to charge for it. Then I think expectations can change and what people will take free or cheap they may not be willing to pay the going rate.

Whatever, I think you have beat this to death for long enough, we know you are charging more than you could and I think we know why. Let the OP have her thread back, please.

I'm fine not discussing it If that's the direction of OP's business, go for it. I wish her the very best. However, don't come in and bash others because you don't know what it takes to do this for a living and support a family with it. You don't know why I'm charging so much because you don't know what it took for me to get here, and what I had to give up. If you truly believe your work is art and for people to enjoy, have, and share it then show it. My work is visible for anyone to compare. :)

Last edited:
Iclicked a " choose to smooth" ad by accident scrolling through this " weird" argument. The ad was probably more interesting.

The price is what the next customer is willing to pay.

Fix your site I want to see it already and Im way to lazy in the morning to go fire up the computer.

What are you charging can you post the structure were arguing about here?

I agree why don't you let the OP have their thread back.

Photography is a luxury item. Plain and simple.
People pay more for luxury items based on many factors.
Image quality is only one of them.
Customer service and after sales service play a big role in luxury sales as well.
Vtec44 charges what he does, and gets it, because he excels in all of those things.
Your assumptions about his motives are in just as poor taste as those that probably think you charge less because your work is worth less.

@Piccell Is there a link to your website or Flickr? I'm interested to see your work.
Think about what you are asking, I don't sell any of my work, why would I pay for a website to showcase what is not for sale? :1398: I also do not subscribe to any social media for personal reasons.
If you have a worthy cause I believe in though I would be happy to help any way I can. Just ask.
No problem at all.... you account here provides you with free image hosting. Simply upload a few of your favorite works to your personal gallery here on TPF and post them!

@Piccell Is there a link to your website or Flickr? I'm interested to see your work.
No problem at all.... you account here provides you with free image hosting. Simply upload a few of your favorite works to your personal gallery here on TPF and post them!

To add to this flickr, deviantart and photobucket also offer free image hosting without any costs; so you've a range of choices including the forum upon which you can freely host your photos.

I may just do that some day. Or not. I don't like putting photos on sites like Flickr though because I don't want my work associated with those places.
If I am ever bored enough I might stick a photo up here if I read and agree with the site policies concerning copyright. A lot of sites want the rights to post and repost without further permission each time and that I won't do.

Deviantart and Flickr both leave you holding all the copyright - flickr has a few deals such as Ghetty approaching users, but that is your choice if you accept or not (flickr tried to go wholesale same as photobucket has done in the past and it backfired on them hard so its never been tried again). Flikr also has some sale options (its more artist orientated and thus well setup for commission work or paid work - but again your choice)
The forums as well here only request so much rights as are needed to host and post the photos online (in fact I suspect that segment of the rules is probably whatever standard spiel is set in the forum software as default - mostly because we've no interest in your photos at all from a commercial angle).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back