So how screwed am I

no need to make a DIY reflector. Go to amazon.com for cheap gear. And I agree with ghace with the lens.

Really. hmm. I would think range would be key, since I can't be running around during vows trying to get a good shot.

It will be on the beach right? Very intimate? I would just come close to them and take pics from close.

I have to find out where it will be (chapel, church, beach, park, etc) I'm not sure yet.

Good advice so far.
I shot my first wedding in April after having several months of prep, and it went splendidly.
Like has been said already, make sure you are 100% up-front with your capabilities. Download a decent contract and edit it to suit your needs.
Get a shot list going...what do they want for formals and wedding party and all that ****?
Sucks that the first time you'll be seeing the venue will be so close to the event itself, but you'll have to just dive in and make the best of it. Shoot constantly.
Like ghache said...expect a long painful day.
After the one i did, I vowed to never do one alone again.

*edit*
Just saw your gear list...it wouldnt kill you to grab a few more 2gb cards...they are good and cheap. I took about 16gb of memory and I was wishing i had even 1 more 2gb card when there was about an hour left of the party. I had to edit duds out on the fly, and be a bit more selective with my shots.

here something that can help

___ Wedding dress lying over a chair
___ Zipping up or buttoning the wedding dress
___ Mother of the bride fastening the bride's necklace
___ The bride's garter
___ The bride's veil
___ A close up of the bride's shoes peeking out from under the dress
___ Bride looking into a mirror
___ Bride looking out window
___ Bride and bridesmaids putting on makeup
___ Bride pinning corsage/boutonniere on mother/father
___ Bride hugging parents
___ Bride touching up
___ Bride and parents leaving for ceremony
___ Groom tying tie
___ Groom looking into mirror
___ Bride looking out window
___ Groom pinning corsage/boutonniere on mother/father
___ Groom hugging parents
___ Bride and parents leaving for ceremony

Wedding Photography Shots At the Ceremony
___ Outside of ceremony site
___ Guests walking into ceremony site
___ Bride and father entering ceremony site
___ Parents being seated
___ Grandparents being seated
___ Maid of honor walking down the aisle
___ Bridesmaids walking down the aisle
___ Flower girl and ring bearer walking down aisle
___ Groom waiting for bride
___ Ceremony musicians
___ Officiant
___ Altar or canopy during ceremony
___ Close up of bride, just before she makes her entrance
___ Bride and father walking down aisle
___ Groom seeing bride for first time
___ The back of bride and father walking down the aisle – with the groom waiting in the distance
___ Bride's father and Bride hugging at end of aisle
___ Shot of the audience from the bride and groom's point of view
___ The unity ceremony
___ Close up of bride and groom saying the vows
___ Wide shot of bride and groom saying the vows
___ Exchanging the rings
___ Close up of hands
___ The kiss
___ Bride & Groom walking up the aisle
___ Receiving line
___ Bride & Groom outside on steps
___ Guests throwing confetti/rose petals/birdseed
___ Bride & Groom hugging guests, laughing, getting congratulations
___ Bride & Groom getting in car
___ Bride & Groom in back seat

Posed Wedding Photography Before the Reception (These can also be taken before the ceremony)
___ Bride alone (full length)
___ Bride with Maid of Honor
___ Bride with bridesmaids
___ Groom with bridesmaids
___ Bride with parents
___ Bride & Groom together
___ Bride & Groom with parents
___ Bride & Groom with families
___ Bride & Groom with entire wedding party
___ Bride & Groom with flower girl and ringbearer
___ Groom with parents
___ Groom with best man
___ Groom with groomsmen
___ Bride with groomsmen

During the Reception (to help your photographer, you may wish to list these shots in the order they will happen at your reception)
___ Outside of reception site
___ Bride & Groom arriving
___ Bride & Groom greeting guests
___ Table centerpieces
___ Table setting
___ Bride & Groom's table (head table)
___ Musicians or DJ
___ Guest book
___ Place card table
___ Closeup of bride and groom's place card
___ Wedding cake
___ Groom's cake
___ Gift table
___ Decorations (specify which _________________________)
___ A shot of bride & groom with guests at each table
___ Bride with college alums
___ Groom with college alums
___ The buffet or, if having table service, a dinner serving
___ Bride & Groom's first dance
___ Bride & Father dancing
___ Groom & Mother dancing
___ Guests dancing
___ Bride & Groom cutting the cake
___ Bride & Groom feeding each other cake
___ Toasts (specify who is giving them: ____________________)
___ Bride & Groom drinking champagne
___ Signing the marriage license
___ Bride throwing bouquet
___ Groom retrieving garter
___ Groom tossing garter
___ Garter/Bouquet dance
___ The getaway car
___ Bride & Groom leaving party
___ Bride & Groom driving away

nice one ghache!

She CAN afford a pro, she just doesnt think she needs one now, until 10, 20 years from now she still hates you because you ruined her wedding...
they can have a destination wedding fly from MA to Puerto Rico but they don't have the money for a pro? They do, they might have to cut budget somewhere else, but I'd not touch this with a 10 foot pole. Go as a guest, sure, and bring your camera, but insist they hire a pro.

This is just my opinion and I'm speaking from experience.

Everyone always saves the photographer last, we get the least amount in their budget, but honestly, we are the most important part of a wedding, IMO.

In 20 years, no one is going to remember that their cake was dry, or that the decorations were not perfect, UNTIL they look at the crappy pictures, and hate you all over again....

Unless you are 100% confident and CHARGE what a starting wedding photographer is priced, don't do it.

Well, isn't it obvious that you shouldn't do what you can't afford? I am talking about the wedding. If she cannot afford to have the kind of wedding that she wants, then she should have reconsidered it... like register first and have ceremony later (when they have saved enough money). A friend of mine did that and there's nothing wrong with it.

Sucks to be you. You are screwed out of some one else's conveniences. I don't suppose you are getting paid to fly down there? That's a huge favor to ask especially when you are not even a relative to her(yet).

I was suposed to shoot my wife cousin's wedding in july and declined because i judge i dont have the gear to do it.
She can afford a wedding photographer but of course she wants to cut corners.

I have

a gripped d7000 with 4 batteries (lol)
50mm 1.8
24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8
2 sb-600.

I usually rent gear around here, i rent a d700 and a sb-900 for the weekend for like 60 bucks so i have the proper gear to do it

The wedding is 1300 km away and we are leaving for 2 weeks and of course there is no body renting pro photography gear in a 800 km radius of that town. She didnt want to pay the rental for the gear i needed or pay me to do it . I told her i was not going to shoot her wedding without the proper gear or and she had to find someone else. She is totally pissed off at me and i really dont care. Better let it go than screw some friends wedding pictures.
At the end, if they hire someone that can't do the job, you wont be the one to blame.

If they are going to get mad at you for not shooting their wedding for free and acutally making you spend money out of your pocket, and time editing, just imagine how they will feel if you screw up their photos.... do you think they will be happy about that?

If they are going to get mad at you for not shooting their wedding for free and acutally making you spend money out of your pocket, and time editing, just imagine how they will feel if you screw up their photos.... do you think they will be happy about that?

this is why i will stay at the back, drunk in my white linen pants wearing an al capone hat enjoing the sun and the beautifull bride's maid.

All of there family is in Puerto Rico, so the wedding is there for that reason. I was going to the wedding anyways, and of course would have my camera. I am not charging, as like I said, I would be there shooting anyways. They actually don't have the money, otherwise they would hire a pro. Tell two people that have been together for 8 years not to get married, haa.

Like I said above, she was not planning on having a photographer at all, and she isn't paying anything. So no matter what I get, shes not losing out. I on the other hand, could walk away with some portfolio material and a handful of references.

Plus, any gear I pick up between now and then would be gear I was planning on buying anyways (tripod, flash, lenses, spare batteries)

if there were not going to to hire anyone, dont make a big fuzz out of it, go there shoot it , try your best and have fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back