So how screwed am I

That's exactly what I plan on doing. The only difference now is, I plan on trying a little harder and trying to take more professional looking photographs. Plus, if I'm the "official photographer" I can call the shots, and wont just be going "excuse me, folks, can you look over here for a minute, folks...", which I find fun. That's why I came to you guys for help, I'd love to deliver some great photos, and I wanted some advise on where to start. Its sort of a win win with a lot of false pressure.

I would focus a little less on the gear you have, and much much more on posing. Keep in mind things like backgrounds if you are using cheaper lenses (like the kit lens) that can't blow out the background as much. Find out as much as you can about the wedding location before you decide to drop close to 500$ on the 580. You may not need the flash as much as a good zoom lens (not that a pro doesn't need the flash, you're working on small budget and small timeframe).

Spend a lot of time between now and then looking at wedding photos. Find shots that you like, look at the poses and lighting. Grab some friends and shoot practice shots beforehand so when its wedding day and the wedding party is all staring at you, you have a plan.

Going to be hypocritical and suggest gear, I'd get a faster zoom ( 24-70 2.8 or a 70-200 2.8 IS ) before getting the flash. (Its your money, but that's what I would get). There are 3rd party lenses that you can get cheaper (Tamron makes a 28-75 2.8 new for about 500$ Not as awesome as the canon, but not 1.2k either.)

And relax, be confident, have fun, and take lots and lots of pictures. Grab some cheap memory cards if you need to, but a little spray and pray can't hurt.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. The only difference now is, I plan on trying a little harder and trying to take more professional looking photographs. Plus, if I'm the "official photographer" I can call the shots, and wont just be going "excuse me, folks, can you look over here for a minute, folks...", which I find fun. That's why I came to you guys for help, I'd love to deliver some great photos, and I wanted some advise on where to start. Its sort of a win win with a lot of false pressure.

Honestly, I dont think you should worry too much about taking "professional pictures". You should have fun and get some experience out of the whole gig; as long as the girl is well aware of your skills and non pro gear I really dont think it should be any concern. In the end she can't afford that pro guy and she should be happy with someone who's trying their best to provide the best they can.

I plan on it, and I'm sure she will be happy with anything. I'm just a big believer in "put your best foot forward." Photography is one of my few skills, and since I'm going to be at a wedding and reception, holding a camera, and don't drink or dance, why not play pretend and be a "Professional Photographer" for the night.

I know someone already mentioned it but you really NEED more memory cards!!! I shot a wedding last weekend, it was only 6 hours and I filled up two 16gb cards. Thats not to mention the pictures you're going to want to take personally on the trip!

I haven't looked into it, but maybe traveler's insurance will cover your lens rental if something happens to it. You might have to have a receipt though... to prove you purchased it, so maybe that won't work. But might be worth looking into.

Also that 50mm 1.8 can come in handy also if you ever get around to getting one.

The great thing is you can always get more haha... I just walked into my favorite camera store and without blinking I could drop at least 20k on gear haha....

Goodluck - you're a braver sole than me to even face shooting people let alone a wedding thing!

Wow, I totally expected you to get ripped to shreds lol.

We've grown more mature lately. :lol:

actually I think its just the case that the forums "time of the month" has passed ;)

Goodluck - you're a braver sole than me to even face shooting people let alone a wedding thing!

Wow, I totally expected you to get ripped to shreds lol.

actually I think its just the case that the forums "time of the month" has passed ;)

haha, the rain is getting on our nerves, well, around here enyway. Its been raning for weeks and when i look at the forecast its still ****in grey,

haha, the rain is getting on our nerves, well, around here enyway. Its been raning for weeks and when i look at the forecast its still ****in grey,

Same here... Gotta love the gray January Vancouver weather were having in May..

I would make sure to have a signed statement saying you are not there in a paid professional capacity. I know they are friends, but many friendships have been spoiled by lawsuits.

Make sure they know your limitations, make sure you know your gear, and have fun!

Rancor - it is one thing to shoot a friend's wedding for free to gain experience, but screw being out of pocket yourself to do it! At least make them pay for lens rental so you can actually have a decent chance at it. No matter what anyone says about skill of the photographer vs. equipment used, you still NEED good gear to do a wedding.

A $1000 deposit! I can do the $25 a day, but as it is I still have to pay to fly me and my GF to Puerto Rico, Stay in a hotel for 3 nights, and have some spare money to have fun (for her to have fun) while we are there. I can't drop $1000 on a lens rental even if I do get it back.

What about buying:

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

OR
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

&

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF 50mm f/1.8 II

$1000 deposit???? HOLY Crap. At that point you may as well go to Amazon and buy a Sigma and keep it. Damn. That is a lot of money. The place I rent from has no deposit and pretty good rates but I am pretty sure they are a NH only company. Check them out and see though. GlassandGear.com - Glass and Gear - Photographic and Entertainment Equipment Rental

Most reactions

New Topics

Back