So I got a request today

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I organized two workshops for an elementary school during both the winter and summer breaks this past year. The workshop I did with them was to have them make short films(videos) with certain themes using simple digital cameras.

So one of the teachers called me today asking me if I would join their 6th graders on their graduation trip, to be their video/camera man cus he liked the photos I took of the workshops.

Why weird?

1. I only spent a few days with the kids. We hardly know each other ( as in familiar ).
2. After the last workshop, I tried to contact the teacher asking if they got the CD of the video deliverable that I mailed out. He never replied me.
3. The 4-day trip has a hectic schedule. I will be moving back home by then, which means I will have to spend two more days to travel out to and from the school just to join them.
4. Travel expense of the trip is paid, but nothing else. Meaning using my own gear, my own time for all the photo and video post-processing, and the cost for me to come out to join them.

Sure I want to do something for the kids ( they live in the rural and don't have much exposure to the outside world other than the stupid TV media ) and I wish I can say yes more easily, but this is just too out of the blue for me. I haven't said no, what do you think?

Okay, this looks tough. It seems there is simply nothing for you in it. You gotta get everything of your own, construct a plan and have 4 hectic days as you say. Being familiar with kids might be the easy part ... though you must know that being with kids, for them..... Is one Hell of an awesome feeling which i won't miss if got the chance.... So, i would go !!

What's included in "travel expenses"?

At the very least, if they're not going to pay you, they should cover all of your expenses; travel to and from, hotel/accomodations, meals and gratuities.

Everything...

These are cool kids. Just that when you start factoring what I have to put in...

2 days to travel to and from the school ( yes it's that far away ).
4 days of trip.
probably at least 1.5~2weeks of post processing at full speed, plus I will probably be driven crazy by my 6yr old laptop.
I don't even have my own video camera!

That's a LOT of time for them to ask you to work for free. Time that could be spent on paying jobs or if you have a regular job, thats a good chunk of vacation time.

If it were me I would not spend that much time working unpaid unless it is a destination you really wan to visit. I might offer to do it for a discounted rate but I would not do it unpaid.

What kind of school organizes a 4 day trip for "graduating" 6th graders anyway. It would have to be a private school. If the school can afford to send 6th graders on a 4 day trip then they can afford to pay you for your time. If the parents paying then they can each pay a little more to compensate you for that much time.

This is a rural school. Most of the kids are from families under the poverty line. They have a choir and I suspect the funding comes from both donations and what they make from singing (recordings etc). Half of the school kids live in the mountain... like literally 20min of driving on small mountain road and you arrive at a community in the valley in the middle of nowhere. I am surprised that they have money for this because certain modes of transportion they will be taking are pretty costly, including high speed rail and air plane. I suppose it's for the kids to get a taste of what it is like out there, which is very cool for them obviously.

I am surprised that they have money for this because certain modes of transportion they will be taking are pretty costly, including high speed rail and air plane.

If they can afford to fly a bunch of 6 graders for a vacation they CAN pay you for your time.

I'm with Light Guru on this. The school administrator is presenting a very unbalanced life scenario for young children. They are supposedly poor, but there is this unrealistic trip. Meanwhile, they expect you (and probably others) to donate their time and money to facilitate this trip.

Take a step back from this and think about it.

You are being used. At least, if you accept this one-sided 'deal'. I would politely decline their entreaties.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back