So I just got my SB-600...

rainking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...love it so far. This should have been the first thing I purchased after my camera. Anyways, I love how bright the AF lamp assist is and the ability to focus in low light but it will only fire if I shot in Auto. I got it to fire in M but only in AF-A and D39. Is that normal? I usually shot in AF-S and S.

...love it so far. This should have been the first thing I purchased after my camera. Anyways, I love how bright the AF lamp assist is and the ability to focus in low light but it will only fire if I shot in Auto. I got it to fire in M but only in AF-A and D39. Is that normal? I usually shot in AF-S and S.

It should fire in all modes when attached to the hotshoe.

I suggest you read the manuals of both your new flash and D7000 for assistance.

I always tell people, a good speedlight makes a world of difference- but they always want a new lens.....

p!nK

Thanks, found it. I had the AF point illumination set to Auto. I switched it to on and it turns on every time now.

I'm so amazed at the difference from using my $400 kit lens vs my nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) and SB-600 (combined cost of only about $350).

Thanks, found it. I had the AF point illumination set to Auto. I switched it to on and it turns on every time now.

I'm so amazed at the difference from using my $400 kit lens vs my nifty fifty (50mm 1.8) and SB-600 (combined cost of only about $350).

good for you. Now get it off camera and really blow your mind.

p!nK

Yea, I was playing with the commander mode when I was reading the manual. Hand held the flash on a subject, played around with the angle and was blown away with the creative lighting can do. I wish there was a way to turn the pop up flash off though.

Yea, I was playing with the commander mode when I was reading the manual. Hand held the flash on a subject, played around with the angle and was blown away with the creative lighting can do. I wish there was a way to turn the pop up flash off though.

Pop up flash does not affect the exposure, it fires before the shutter is released to communicate with the strobe. You can set it up in your Commander menu in camera.

p!nK

Pop up flash does not affect the exposure, it fires before the shutter is released to communicate with the strobe. You can set it up in your Commander menu in camera.

p!nK

Thanks, didn't know that. Good to know.

Yep the CLS uses the infrared part of the flash to communicate between camera and flash. Some still find for really closeup and flash that the popup flash can still add light to exposure. The only way around it is can tape a piece of exposed film to front of flash. or get the Nikon SG-31R IR Panel for Built-in Flash. Useful for doing portrait as the pre-flash tricks the person thinking the pic is done when in fact it isn't.

And since the SB-600 doesn't come with a diffuser dome. You might want to pick one up. As helps to turn hard flash into more softer diffused light.

Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce OM-600 Flash Diffuser

Congrats! and good luck.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

p!nK

Page 225 in the manual for your D7000 does a really good job of going through that....

In the "Flash cntrl for built in flash" area of your settings.... set the "Built In Flash" to "--" and set the "Group A" to whatever you want the strobe to do.

It's all kinds of fantastic.

good for you. Now get it off camera and really blow your mind.

p!nK

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I've just learned what an amazing difference that can make too! Wow!

Better hurry, according to a Nikon rep at a Penn Camera demo day, they have stop making the 600.

True or not I will be picking up another soon.

Bruce

Better hurry, according to a Nikon rep at a Penn Camera demo day, they have stop making the 600.

Bruce

Interesting. Nikon's website still shows it as an active product, and the major retailers are stocking with no mention of the discontinued status....

Also a quick exercies in Google-fu shows that the rumor has been flying around since last year sometime.

p!nK

That isn't quite right. The pop-up flash still has to fire to trigger the off-camera SB-600 so it is also on when the shutter is open.

In Commander mode, set the pop-up flash power level to --, that will minimize the light from the pop-up that is added to the scene.

If you are making a portrait, you may still get a pin light reflection of the pop-up in the subjects eyes.

Nikon has the SG-31R IR Panel for Built-In Flash from Nikon to address the issue of the pop-up effecting a photo.

p!nK

That isn't quite right. The pop-up flash still has to fire to trigger the off-camera SB-600 so it is also on when the shutter is open.

In Commander mode, set the pop-up flash power level to --, that will minimize the light from the pop-up that is added to the scene.

If you are making a portrait, you may still get a pin light reflection of the pop-up in the subjects eyes.

Nikon has the SG-31R IR Panel for Built-In Flash from Nikon to address the issue of the pop-up effecting a photo.

The popup flash has very, very little effect on the subject when it is turned off in commander mode.

For example..... I took these two photos when playing around with commander mode. the first is illumiated by both the popup and the off camera SB-600, and the second the popup was turned "off" and the SB-600 was fired from the right side. In both cases the camera was 3 feet (about one meter for those of you who can't count to 12, :lol: ) from the subject. Notice in the second pic that the popup has very little effect (if any in this case) on illumination. I'm sure that in some cases it can be detrimental, but I think the pics help illustrate the difference.

Also, keep in mind, I wasn't gong for quality on these images.... just playing with a new toy, so please disregard backdrop, composition etc.

050-3.jpg

107.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back