So I went on a photoshoot today

cardinals1970

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went on a photoshoot today and I think I learned more from this shoot than I have in the last 6 or 7 months of trying my hand at photography. I guess I should mention that since I learned so much that I didn't even take one picture on the shoot :lol:. Actually my niece had her first modeling shoot today and the photographer incouraged me to stick around for the shoot and help him out. So of course I did and I learned a so much about lighting and other things. I have to say it was so much easier for me to understand how everything relates by seeing it done in person.

After the shoot the photograher, my niece and myself were going through the shots and I was amazed how quick he would call some of them garbage that I would have been proud to take. One thing he did was as we were looking at them if he had two shots that looked alike and he sad one was bad and the other was great was that he explained to my niece and me what the slight difference was in each photo and what made one great and one bad. The photographer also offered to let me second shoot weddings for him when I feel I am ready to make a move to that area.

Always great to meet other photographer who likes to help and teach you instead of hiding all of his skills.

It wasn't even so much the on camera stuff it was more about lighting and how to make a pretty standard pose stand out more just by having the model turn her head a slightly different way or by the cropping you choose in post.

Sounds like a smart photographer. Take any chance you get, to learn from him.

There is a saying that goes something like:
The difference between a good photographer and a bad photographer, is the size of their waste basket.
In other words, the good photographer is more critical of their own work and only shows/displays their very best.

Wow, you found a great person and a helluva teacher...he definately has a passion for photography that he doesn't mind sharing...you lucky guy!

Sounds like a smart photographer. Take any chance you get, to learn from him.

There is a saying that goes something like:
The difference between a good photographer and a bad photographer, is the size of their waste basket.
In other words, the good photographer is more critical of their own work and only shows/displays their very best.

Oh I am going to take any chance I can to work with him even if is just holding a reflector or light lol. He has a great passion for photography but admits he still learns new things on every shoot he does. He was telling me he has been helping another photog my our area and let him second shoot a wedding for him, he said the guy took about 400 shots but the main photog could only use 3 out of the 400 the second shooter shot. With that and watching him go through my niece's shots I understand just how picky he is about what he puts his name on. I also understand better how just a little things can make for a great shot, for example he was doing some shots of my niece with a wet hair look. Well we stopped for a smoke break and he just caught a glimpse of my niece smoking and the way she was standing and boom he said that is a great look and he grabbed his camera and started shooting again. Here is a link to his facebook page and the album of my niece http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/media/set/?set=a.177822445611163.44365.100001502279067

Last edited:
That link took me to my facebook home page...

Still takes me to my homepage...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back