So small, yet so very large

pursuer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are images of the sun taken using a plume of steam from a local refinery as a light filter. The small dark spot towards the bottom of the suns disk is actually a giant sunspot, a magnetic storm FIVE TIMES the diameter of the earth. Sunspot 756, as it is called by astronomers, will be visible for a few more days before the sun's rotation carries it out of view.

For anyone interested more info is available here: http://www.spaceweather.com/

Please be don't try to take an image like this unless you know what you are doing, THE SUN CAN BLIND YOU AS WELL AS DAMAGE YOUR EQUIPMENT!

sunspot2web0ht.jpg

sunspot1web8we.jpg

Very cool! Thanks so much for sharing them with us. To bad the power lines have to be in the way.

BadRotation said:
Awesome, you can see the gigantic sunspot on the sun as well... You should send it here: http://www.spaceweather.com/

They will prolly post it on their site since that is an excellent picture of the sunspot.

Way ahead of you :mrgreen:

that is soooo cool. the first shot is definitely way awesome. the second one is nice too...but that first one is killer. the power lines make it all the more mysterious.

I enjoy your astronomy posts. Good Idea using the steam as a filter. Is that a super huge sunspot or normal in size? Well done.

Those aren't power lines. They're magical cosmic pixies highways which are all over the skies. They take you from one edge of the universe to the other in the blink of an eye (about five pixie seconds). Due to the care pursuer has gone to when taking this picture he has stumbled across the only way to actually get an image of these interstellar roads.

Cool photo and thanks for sharing.

ferny said:
Those aren't power lines. They're magical cosmic pixies highways which are all over the skies. They take you from one edge of the universe to the other in the blink of an eye (about five pixie seconds). Due to the care pursuer has gone to when taking this picture he has stumbled across the only way to actually get an image of these interstellar roads.

Cool photo and thanks for sharing.

:shock: How do YOU know about the pixies, it is suppossed to be a secret :???: :taped sh: :crazy:

Cruzin most sun spots are smaller but it's not unusual to see spots this large.

pursuer said:
:shock: How do YOU know about the pixies, it is suppossed to be a secret :???: :taped sh: :crazy:

Cruzin most sun spots are smaller but it's not unusual to see spots this large.
How do I know about them? Someone posted a picture....

great captures and mysterious look! your astronomy work blows me away!

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing and for the info!

pursuer said:
Way ahead of you :mrgreen:

Guess I didnt read the text above your image :mrgreen:

I just saw it on spaceweather. Nice work..

Too bad the sunspot is starting to head around to the far side of the sun, and is deteriorating.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back