So utterly ashamed

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am learning photoshop and figured out, sort of on accident how to do selective coloring. Now I have to say, it isnt my style...in fact I find it unattractive most of the time. But I am so proud of my self (a couple friends have been bugging me to learn so I can do it for their photos...ugh, now I know, I need another excuse not to do it) so I had to share my handy work. Just for education purposes (I dont think you will be seeing much selective coloring from me), how did I do on it?
austin6months-0990-2copy.jpg

It looks good to me except it's so dark, I almost didn't notice it.

PS. If you're now obligated to do them for all your friends, I hope you don't have too many.:lol:

The photo is dark or just they color (I was aiming for really subtle)? My screen really is brighter then most screens I think. Despite having a fairly large social group, I don't think I will be doing much of the selective coloring. I might just have to "forget" how I did this whole thing. Why do my friends like it so much? I dont get it!

IMO - selective colouring works best when you accentuate the coloured portion... If the colour is subtle, then it might not work...
But sometimes it does...
I think the concept of SC is to kick the viewers eyes to the coloured portion... so you need to add some ZING...
In this case - sapphire eyes...
Despite our personal tastes as photographers, we need to be aware of the market and what people will part with their money for...
(7x5 print = $40, selective colouring 25%-50% extra)
Jedo

Attachments

• $selcol.jpg
    $selcol.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 106
IMO - selective colouring works best when you accentuate the coloured portion... If the colour is subtle, then it might not work...
But sometimes it does...
I think the concept of SC is to kick the viewers eyes to the coloured portion... so you need to add some ZING...
In this case - sapphire eyes...
Despite our personal tastes as photographers, we need to be aware of the market and what people will part with their money for...
(7x5 print = $40, selective colouring 25%-50% extra)
Jedo

Not sure about that change Jedo. It looks waaaay overdone and completely fake.

Personally the first one is too blue for my tastes as well. I think SC'ing is about subtlety. Personally, I'd mask those blue eyes and bring down the opacity in the blue channel and then lighten them so they sparkle a bit more.. Probably wouldn't hurt to make the catch lights a little stronger too. You want to draw the viewer in, not overwhelm them.

I think this photo is great, I personally love the way the light was caught in the drool...

I think that the blue eyes stand out better if you have a warmer B&W. I did nothing to the original color of the eyes in the image. I lightened only the highlights.

I used some Kubota Actions

"Mocha BW" AV2...To get a warmer B&W.
"Digital Fill Flash" AV2..Around and in the eye highlights
"Smokeless burn" AV2...to add a bit more depth.
"Amazing detail finder 2" AV2...To pop the detail on the eyes and some of the other feature. It seemed just a bit soft.

austin6months-1.jpg

Amber
Kubota Image Tools team

I think this photo is great, I personally love the way the light was caught in the drool...

I think that the blue eyes stand out better if you have a warmer B&W. I did nothing to the original color of the eyes in the image. I lightened only the highlights.

I used some Kubota Actions

"Mocha BW" AV2...To get a warmer B&W.
"Digital Fill Flash" AV2..Around and in the eye highlights
"Smokeless burn" AV2...to add a bit more depth.
"Amazing detail finder 2" AV2...To pop the detail on the eyes and some of the other feature. It seemed just a bit soft.

austin6months-1.jpg

Amber
Kubota Image Tools team

Nice edit! I prefer the subtler color, if you have to do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back