Soccer Senior

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Doing the final edits on this set, and decided to upload this one. I shot close to three hundred and ended up with 55 keepers... I call that a success.

Soccer-Style by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Edit: I know the whites on his shirt are blown, but I liked it that way..

His skin tone looks odd and he has sort of blanched areas on his cheekbones.
Was this shot with a reflector or fill light?

60" shoot through with 2 SB600's as main and a reflective umbrella with an SB700 on the lens axis for fill.

Any other input?

60" shoot through with 2 SB600's as main and a reflective umbrella with an SB700 on the lens axis for fill.

You used 3 Speedlights?? I normally use one with the 60" shoot through and a reflector (if needed)

You used 3 Speedlights?? I normally use one with the 60" shoot through and a reflector (if needed)

This was shot at high-noon almost (2?), so I had to use a lot to overpower the sun. And the 60" shoot through loses a lot of light. I think I need to pick up a 60" reflective...So yes, 3 speedlights. Also, I prefer to use more at a lower power than 1 at full power--it gives me a faster recycle time and less stress on the batteries.

Cheers!
Jake

This was shot at high-noon almost (2?), so I had to use a lot to overpower the sun. And the 60" shoot through loses a lot of light. I think I need to pick up a 60" reflective...So yes, 3 speedlights. Also, I prefer to use more at a lower power than 1 at full power--it gives me a faster recycle time and less stress on the batteries.

Cheers!
Jake

I see - I guess it gives me the impression of too much light, kinda looks artificial...but opinions are like colors Everyone's got a favorite

these are my samples - BUT in late afternoon and NO direct sun :)

_DSC6669 copy by rosy1816, on Flickr

_DSC1300 copy by rosy1816, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

I see - I guess it gives me the impression of too much light, kinda looks artificial...but opinions are like colors Everyone's got a favorite

these are my samples - BUT in late afternoon and NO direct sun :)

I wish we had been able to shoot in the late afternoon, but these were taken the week of finals, and we had a time crunch...

There's definitely something that looks 'off' to me about his face; how far away was your key?

Okay, good distance; I guess it's just a combination of slightly too much oomph on the lights and the white shirt.

There's definitely something that looks 'off' to me about his face; how far away was your key?

This shows the approximate setup..

Have you actually calibrated your set-up? That is, have you actually determined the correct distance between umbrella face and speedlights? This could be a case of the lights being too close and you're getting hot spots.

Have you actually calibrated your set-up? That is, have you actually determined the correct distance between umbrella face and speedlights? This could be a case of the lights being too close and you're getting hot spots.

I have not calibrated it, no. Is there somewhere I can do that?

I should add that there was a little bit of dappled sun hotspots poking through the branches. They stayed away mostly, but were present in some shots, albeit in a muted manner. I didn't have a scrim or any location that could have provided proper and full shade, as I had wanted. We were limited to on campus and not an excess of time. You can see the dappling on his gown (under the tassle) in the shot below:

The Graduate by f_one_eight, on Flickr

...I have not calibrated it, no. Is there somewhere I can do that?
The easiest way is set up the light and umbrella as you normally would and face it toward the camera; use a relatively small aperture and look at the results. The light should be evenly distributed from centre to edge (or nearly so). If the centre is much brighter than the edges, move the light further from the umbrella, and if you see 'ghosting' around the edges, move it closer. Generally with speedlights, I find you have to use pretty much every inch of the umbrella shaft.

Most reactions

Back