Softboxes (lighting set up question)

i'm looking into alien bees actually. they also sell softboxes for their strobes...although i've looked into a large octodome (from photoflex) instad...

Yeah... photoboy15 is right. For portraits, you'll be much better off with strobes.

As for continuous lights, there are few advantages which seldom concern portraits:

-cheaper
-can shoot at any aperature
-light weight

disadvantages include:
-they get hot
-color temperature (not balanced for daylight film)
-longer exposures
-too bright for "creature comfort"

The cost of strobes can sting at first, but it's a worthwhile investment. Be sure to chose strobes that have "modeling lights." These are continuous lights that allow you to see where the stobe lighting will fall.

I hope this helps.

Pete

Thanks photoboy 15 and Pete. The info helps.

For strobes, Alien Bee looks like a favourite among photogs.
For the purpose of research, does any of you know of a company that offers continuous lighting units? I like the 'light weight' part of it.

Dan

PS: Alison, sorry for the hijack! :p

Hey, no problem, it's a good hijack :)

I've used Hensel for my strobes and have been very happy with them.

Hensel...noted! :)

danalec99 said:
...does any of you know of a company that offers continuous lighting units? I like the 'light weight' part of it.

I immediately think of Lowel, but then we I starting thinking a bit more... I'm not sure I'd risk putting one of these into a fabric sofbox. They're called "hot lights" for a reason. I think this might be dangerous.

BUT.... surely someone makes sofboxes for video, and that would be a continuous light source. Uh oh... I just stumbled out of my scope of experience.

I once did a family (wife's side) session with a borrowed home depot worklight bounced on to the ceiling. That was a year ago though. Apart from the heat issue, I was pretty much pleased with the results. :)
Has anyone played with a work light?

danalec99 said:
I once did a family (wife's side) session with a borrowed home depot worklight bounced on to the ceiling. That was a year ago though. Apart from the heat issue, I was pretty much pleased with the results. :)

ME!!!! Haven't exactly had fabulous results though....I bounce em off foamcore board reflectors...I think my ceiling is too high to bounce from.

thebeginning said:
i'm looking into alien bees actually. they also sell softboxes for their strobes...although i've looked into a large octodome (from photoflex) instad...

For the softboxes I would spend a little more and go with something else like Larson. I have been hearing stories about the ones that Alien Bees sells starting to turn yellow after a year or so.

danalec99 said:

I think I have for the "High Key" assignment in the Photo Themes and my pictures of my daughter. Compared to the light that I used ALONG with the work light (coming out of my slide projector), the work light was very yellow. I did not see that WHILE taking her photos, but everyone can see it in the final outcome (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35086).

In addition to the light being quite hot, it molested her lot in her eyes and made them turn all red in hardly any time at all.

But ... I wanted to try my hands on what was asked of me in the assignment and she had to be my guinea pig. And there are no other bright light sources in my house, just that projector and the work light, so ...

I started off with hotlights...you can make anything work..it was fun getting a successful shot by bouncing the light off a freezer door. :) (My son's senior picture)
I now have had Henzel for 3 years (Integra 500W) and I'm vey happy with them. I've found out though that with larger group portraits, I'm wishing I had more wattage to get better DOF.

I've been using an Alien Bees 24 x 32 softbox, and it works well for 3/4 and headshots using a 400 unit (actually 160 true watts.) You can get some amazing results with just one unit and a reflector.

Wow, this has been very informative for me. I did not get any sort of guidance when I was looking for studio lighting and I ended up with a continuous light set and I have seen some excellent results with soft boxes that I have not quite been able to capture with my lighting.

To answer you original question. Anywhere you want, depending on the picture you want. There was a magazine that did a 4 part series years ago about shooting with 1 light, then 2, 3 and 4. It was great and gave lots of Ideas. If I can find it I will scan it for all to see. This is one of my favorite shots that I have done with one box. It was shot in '97 so if it look dated, thats why. We use one box because there was text added on the lower, over the feet and legs, so we kept it dark.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/photographyjack/detail?.dir=/1954&.dnm=ce85.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back