shadowlands

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Why?
Because I'm weird. I've always wanted to be more of a minimalist with my camera/gear.
After years of having bad GAS, I decided to simply "get what I want/need".
I now have a Nikon DF (so in love), 35mm 2D, 85mm 1.8F & 180mm 2.8D.
Couldn't be happier. One day, I'll get a Z6, but only years from now when glass is affordable for me.

This is how I roll now. I'm in love.
DF35strap.jpg

Priming it up!

At some point I'd really like to get the 85 f/1.8 and 200 f/2. I'd probably ditch the 70-200 at that point, but for now it's just a pipe dream. That 200 is $5000!!

Did some research, and now I have severe GAS for the 105 f/1.4 :BangHead:

GAS is what got me in trouble in the first place. I use to love photography. Then I wanted the big boy stuff... so years ago I moved into the D800 for the build and FX, and resolution. Then I had to acquire the 24-70 & 70-200, etc... I was spending way too much on gear for someone who doesn't earn a living in photography. Took me years to figure this all out. Ha!

GAS is what got me in trouble in the first place. I use to love photography. Then I wanted the big boy stuff... so years ago I moved into the D800 for the build and FX, and resolution. Then I had to acquire the 24-70 & 70-200, etc... I was spending way too much on gear for someone who doesn't earn a living in photography. Took me years to figure this all out. Ha!

Well my goal is to make a living doing it haha, so I can justify the cost. Doesn't make it any easier on the wallet though!

I bought one of the 35mm F2D's with the oil issue. Just mailed that sucka back and ordered a cleaner one with the more modern serial number. Boom!

My replacement 35mm came in the other day. No oil issue. More current serial
NikonDF.JPG
number as well. It's mint!

Lovely setup! The DF is one of my favourites.
Just keep in mind that you lose AF functionality on the FTZ adapter if you use AF-D lenses.
So if you'll upgrade later, keep that in mind.

Lovely setup! The DF is one of my favourites.
Just keep in mind that you lose AF functionality on the FTZ adapter if you use AF-D lenses.
So if you'll upgrade later, keep that in mind.
I am guilty. I sold my beloved DF and all of my AF glass. I bought a Z6 and Z 24-70 F4.
My next lens will be the Z 85mm 1.8. I'm excited about the Z6. It's awesome.

So ... thats the New Gear Syndrom in action.

Personally I mostly just hope that this new bad idea from Nikon, the Z system, wont be the final nail in their coffin.

Last edited:
The new Z6 has made some very impressive images. This morning I just looked at the dPreview sample gallery for the new 85 mm F / 1.8 Z series and it looks to be a very fine lens. The Z series 50 mm F / 1.8 is a very good performer, better at wide open than any other 50 mm F 1.8 that Nikon has ever made. The change in flange focal distance is I predict going to make a huge difference in the improved performance of multiple lenses. The Z6 has also demonstrated considerable video capability and has tremendously increased Nikon's standing among serious videographers and so-called hybrid shooters who are people who shoot both Stills and video.

While Nikon traditionalists like myself and others might not welcome the Z series with open arms, it looks like it is here to stay.

Most reactions

Back