Some amateur shots I have taken

JerseyJules

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im new to the whole photography thing so please critique my shots and let me know how I can make them better. I like shooting flowers, close ups of specific parts of classic cars and my kids. Photos were taken with a Nikon D3200 18-55 lens and some I used a Nikon ED 300mm Lens. I have a great eye for what would make for a good photo, I just need to learn how to properly capture the photo....

DSC_0560 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0550 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0078-001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0043-002 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0868-001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

DSC_0859-001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

#1: I'd watch the background a tiny bit and I see something square-ish in the middle of the very right side of the photo.
#2: Try a different angle, because the main flower you were trying to shoot seems flat and looks a little lifeless.
#3: I was unsure what I was looking at at first.
#4: I love this photo, but I wish the dragonfly wasn't so close to the center of the photo.
#5: Watch your backgrounds and I might've either gone closer to one flower or shot from a different angle to add more interest.
#6: I would also try to add more interest to this photo.

Good job and I am not a professional at all (yet ;)), but I hope this is of help to you!

Awesome thanks!! When you say add more interest, what do you mean specifically? A more or less interesting background?? BTW feel free to browse my Flikr and leave comments!

#1: I'd watch the background a tiny bit and I see something square-ish in the middle of the very right side of the photo.
#2: Try a different angle, because the main flower you were trying to shoot seems flat and looks a little lifeless.
#3: I was unsure what I was looking at at first.
#4: I love this photo, but I wish the dragonfly wasn't so close to the center of the photo.
#5: Watch your backgrounds and I might've either gone closer to one flower or shot from a different angle to add more interest.
#6: I would also try to add more interest to this photo.

Good job and I am not a professional at all (yet ;)), but I hope this is of help to you!

Awesome thanks!! When you say add more interest, what do you mean specifically? A more or less interesting background?? BTW feel free to browse my Flikr and leave comments!

No problem!! Interest as in like make it more visually interesting, more creative to the eye. Try different angles, follow the rule of thirds, there are tons of ways to add interest to a photo and you can probably look the majority of them up.

I would help tremendously to 1. post the images here instead of just links and 2. number them for C&C reference.

That said, The first two are 'meh' to me.
The third one I really like, 'cept it's a bit crooked.
The fourth one is a real keeper!
The last two are also 'meh'.

I would help tremendously to 1. post the images here instead of just links and 2. number them for C&C reference.

I tried to load them on here, but it said images were to big.

flowers and bugs and vignette, oh my!

Nice processing - minus the vignette.

I really like the third one.

I tried to load them on here, but it said images were to big.

You may try loading them from the URL. Just right click the image select "Copy Image Location" and paste in the URL section when attaching.

Lemme see if it will work.

$7760961792_2f7883207d_z.jpg

Ahhhh, I think I got it now as far as the uploading pictures...Here are a few more of my more favorite shots. I tend to overuse the Vignette feature, I dont know why I kind of like the way it makes the photos look,but I guess it gets kind of old real fast.. Im going to fins the dragonfly picture without the vignette and see if that looks better..

$7763095986_fae1028ea8_h.jpg
Photo1 (first and only time shooting fireworks..)

$7763105766_9732394cdc_b.jpg
Photo2

$7763109366_ab80b765e5_b.jpg
Photo3

$7763114668_5a92a74c7a_b.jpg
Photo4

$7763115688_26bd4f07d2_b.jpg
Photo5
$7763117550_db09f08ebc_b.jpg
Photo6 (I love the colors in this particular one. The flowers are not in focus but I like how it looks almost 3D)
$7763123208_341d991b2f_b.jpg
Photo 7 (keep in mind this was my first and only time shooting fireworks after reading on my smart phone "how to" just 20 minutes prior..lol

$7765854982_8bc979e63b_b.jpg

I reprocessed the Dragonfly picture without the vignette, and not centered as per critique. Any better?? Keep in mind I was about 40 feet away while taking this picture!! I used a 300mm fixed lens.

^^ this is kind of a case where a poor image was made to be superficially "better" with an effect. While the vignette adds to the image, the image is still weak. Removing the vignette only makes it weaker.

When i say "weak" I don't mean "terrible" not by a long shot. The image is OK, and the vignette makes it passable, but in order for it to be great I think better attention to framing would be in order. What immediately catches my eye is that the in focus dragon fly arrows the eye to the lower right frame.

Also, the circumstances which it was taken is irrelevant - all that really matters at this point is if the image works or not. Sure, it might be technically impressive that you used a 300mm lens at 40 feet away, but I'm not interested in your technical abilities, rather the work which you produce.

---

As a whole, your compositions are a little on the static side. If not centered, then trivially and uninventively placed on thirds. As one professor once told me, learn composition - and quickly forget what you've read about it. It's very easy to get into compositional gridlock, repeating the same image over and over with different subjects. This is about the fastest way to loose interest in photography - trust me. I'd encourage you to get out of this compositional comfort zone, don't be afraid to suck at photography, perfection means death.

Last edited:
Photographiend said:
You may try loading them from the URL. Just right click the image select "Copy Image Location" and paste in the URL section when attaching.

Lemme see if it will work.

Resize them before uploading them.

^^ this is kind of a case where a poor image was made to be superficially "better" with an effect. While the vignette adds to the image, the image is still weak. Removing the vignette only makes it weaker.

When i say "weak" I don't mean "terrible" not by a long shot. The image is OK, and the vignette makes it passable, but in order for it to be great I think better attention to framing would be in order. What immediately catches my eye is that the in focus dragon fly arrows the eye to the lower right frame.

Also, the circumstances which it was taken is irrelevant - all that really matters at this point is if the image works or not. Sure, it might be technically impressive that you used a 300mm lens at 40 feet away, but I'm not interested in your technical abilities, rather the work which you produce.

---

As a whole, your compositions are a little on the static side. If not centered, then trivially and uninventively placed on thirds. As one professor once told me, learn composition - and quickly forget what you've read about it. It's very easy to get into compositional gridlock, repeating the same image over and over with different subjects. This is about the fastest way to loose interest in photography - trust me. I'd encourage you to get out of this compositional comfort zone, don't be afraid to suck at photography, perfection means death.

Im quite lost with your technical descriptions at this point. I cropped the dragonfly to the lower right side is response to the first critique of it where the poster said he would like it if the dragonfly was not centered. The actual focal point of the photo was the in focus dragonfly and it was originally centered. Im not familiar with "composition" as I have never studied photography in any form, I basically shoot what I think is cool looking. Could you direct me to some beginner reading that is not full of technical jargon and easy for a non professional to understand and grasp?

Thanks again.

I think in this case you're dealing with what I feel is bad advice. Centering is not a bad thing, but many - it seems especially around here - see a centered image and absolutely freak. If the image is not a juxtaposition, that is, one which does not compare and contrast two elements, there is no problem IMO with centering - I mean, why not - what are you trying to direct the eye between?

I don't think my post was all that "technical" or "jargony", I have a tendency to voice my opinions as fact. It's a bad habit.

Your natural approach to photography explains your composition - you have a good natural eye for composition, but IMO this very "good eye" may end up being your worst enemy. We're naturally drawn to compositions which are placed on 1/3 and 1/5 intervals. If you divide the frame up into thirds and fifth, and place subjects along these lines you'll get a "good" composition, one which is agreeable and has a sense of balance.

But I think that it's easy for us to get into repeating the same arrangements over and over and over again, and overuse of these "rules of thirds" in obvious ways results in stagnant and uninteresting compositions which lack any sense of tension, movement or dynamics.

You're off to a great start, but I'd encourage you to push your own envelope a bit, get out of your comfort zone from time to time - like I said, don't be afraid to suck a little bit - don't get too obsessed with postcard perfect, else you'll end up with images which have about as much significance as - well - a postcard.

Even if this isn't making a lot of sense now, keep it tucked away in the back of your head. It will later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back