Some mild midterm venting. And a picture!

Teaching is like pouring water into a leaky bucket. Unless it gets replenished frequently, the level of knowledge will go down. I used to do lots of math in university. But that was 40+ years ago, and if you ask me to do even the basic level calculus, I'd struggle - because I didn't need it in my work, and things that aren't used atrophy or fade away. So the level of knowledge your students will have may, for some of them, represent the "high-water" level, and as a teacher, you can say "I got them that far". Some will take what they learned and use it. Most will forget it after the final exam. That's just the way it is. I have several family members in various levels of academia (preschool to university level), and most have accepted that only a fraction (of their students) will actually apply what they are taught.

I learned a long time ago that I would never reach every student in the class. I would go insane if I tried. I'll work hard for the students who are trying and truly want to improve. I know that the only thing I can do is make them better than they were when they started the class. There are some students that I know will never do very well, but I'll still help them as much as I can. Then there are the students who obviously don't want to be in the class and they are trying to get away with the bare minimum. And that's what they get in return from me. There's no way I'm wasting my energy on someone who doesn't want to learn anything. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Enjoy your break. Photography is very therapeutic for me.

Enjoy your break. Photography is very therapeutic for me.

I agree. I'm so burning through some film this week! :)

Will this be the week Lenny makes her first enlargement?!? :lovey:

I wish! But for that, I suppose I'd need an enlarger ;) But I think I might try some contact prints at least. And I might break out the Land Camera to try some emulsion transfers and a collage with emulsion lifts.

I agree. I'm so burning through some film this week! :)

Will this be the week Lenny makes her first enlargement?!? :lovey:

I wish! But for that, I suppose I'd need an enlarger ;) But I think I might try some contact prints at least. And I might break out the Land Camera to try some emulsion transfers and a collage with emulsion lifts.

See, now you're just talking all hot. With what film are you thinking of trying these things, may I ask? I have some P-film stashed in the fridge, which will probably die in there before I find time for it. :(

Have you played with Fuji?

An older one of mine, with the long-gone Polaroid sepia film:

See, now you're just talking all hot. With what film are you thinking of trying these things, may I ask? I have some P-film stashed in the fridge, which will probably die in there before I find time for it. :(

Have you played with Fuji?

An older one of mine, with the long-gone Polaroid sepia film:

Love that!

I've got mostly Fuji. It's hard to find the Pola film that is both usable (i.e. not completely dried up) and affordable (ebay sellers think $50 a pack is 'reasonable') I found one pack from the Film Photography Project that wasn't too expensive - they only had one left and so I bought that, and now it's sitting in my fridge waiting for the day when I'm brave enough to burn through my only pack of original Pola film.

But my crisper drawer officially has more Fuji pack film than food in it :) I've been stocking up on the 3000B since it's being discontinued. I've got another 10 coming from Adorama, assuming they don't cancel the order before the shipment arrives (supposedly in April).

The transfers I've done usually come out too dark, so I have to work on those a bit. The lifts are easier and fun. I've done lifts on both the color and B&W. I have done one collage and it came out well enough that it makes me want to try more. Here it is:

Day 317 - Pano by limrodrigues, on Flickr

The gel medium always comes out too shiny on a scan.

Nice pano!! That's something I've never tried.

Gel medium...can't live without it, can't scan it worth a crap. :lol:

Yes, I'm telling myself not to buy any more. With some of this stuff it's more about the film pack battery, with some it's about the dyes. Oh, how I miss Polaroid! That stuff gave me tons of entertainment!! :heart:

So what do y'all do when you need to recharge in the middle of a tough patch?

I find that either a fast divorce or divorcée usually perks me up.

I'm not married, so I can't get any divorce, be it fast or slow. As for the divorcée, she'd have to be pretty hot for me to swing that way ;)

So what do y'all do when you need to recharge in the middle of a tough patch?

I find that either a fast divorce or divorcée usually perks me up.

I'm not married, so I can't get any divorce, be it fast or slow. As for the divorcée, she'd have to be pretty hot for me to swing that way ;)

Just the fact that you are willing to consider that is enough for me.
Now I have to locate a really hot divorcée and a comfortable place to sit and watch.

And I think it almost goes without saying that, if you need me, you just have to beckon.

Teaching is like pouring water into a leaky bucket. Unless it gets replenished frequently, the level of knowledge will go down. I used to do lots of math in university. But that was 40+ years ago, and if you ask me to do even the basic level calculus, I'd struggle - because I didn't need it in my work, and things that aren't used atrophy or fade away. So the level of knowledge your students will have may, for some of them, represent the "high-water" level, and as a teacher, you can say "I got them that far". Some will take what they learned and use it. Most will forget it after the final exam. That's just the way it is. I have several family members in various levels of academia (preschool to university level), and most have accepted that only a fraction (of their students) will actually apply what they are taught.

I learned a long time ago that I would never reach every student in the class. I would go insane if I tried. I'll work hard for the students who are trying and truly want to improve. I know that the only thing I can do is make them better than they were when they started the class. There are some students that I know will never do very well, but I'll still help them as much as I can. Then there are the students who obviously don't want to be in the class and they are trying to get away with the bare minimum. And that's what they get in return from me. There's no way I'm wasting my energy on someone who doesn't want to learn anything. Ain't nobody got time for that.
There is nothing wrong with children that a 350 degree oven and some Ketchup can't fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back