Some of my first photos!

FITBMX

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a Canon Rebel T3i for Christmas, it's my first camera and it has been a lot of fun!:mrgreen:
Here are a few of my better photos, what do you think?:D

$thunderheads 021.jpg

$deer 161.jpg

I can't get it to upload any more?:(

They're very large files. Try resizing.

The pano is quite nice, though I wonder what kind of processing you did with this. The blue feels a bit extreme to me. The composition and focus on the deer are also good, but overall, the image seems a bit too dark.

They're very large files. Try resizing.

The pano is quite nice, though I wonder what kind of processing you did with this. The blue feels a bit extreme to me. The composition and focus on the deer are also good, but overall, the image seems a bit too dark.

I will try resizing them in the morning, thanks!
I will look up what I did to them in Light Room, I forget!;)

I agree about the deer. It's definitely too dark, but it's good other than that. I can't see the pano on my laptop (screen's too small and doesn't open right I think), so there's nothing I can add there, but yeah.

I work a lot! So I have only had time go out and spend a good amount of time taking photos four times, so if you are going to say something make it something to help me improve! That's why I joined this forum!!!

The cloud panorama is quite nice.

The deer shot is too dark because your settings did not allow for proper exposure. The EXIF tells me that your ISO was set to 100, which is probably the default setting. This can be boosted for shooting in low light situations. The shutter speed was 1/1000 of a second, which is probably where you want it for shooting wildlife, but you might be able to go as slow as 1/300 of a second (since you are hand-holding at a focal length of 255mm). However at 1/300 you might get blur caused by either the animals moving or the camera moving, or a little of both. Keeping the shutter speed up to 1/1000, you need to increase the ISO to where your in-camera meter tells you that there is enough light. Good frame, BTW.

Last edited:
In Lightroom when you Export, scroll down to see all the options.
You can set the Quality, or File (maximum) size.
For TPF, I think, you want less than 2MB. but just make them under 1mb so that uploads don't take too long.

I got a Canon Rebel T3i for Christmas, it's my first camera and it has been a lot of fun!:mrgreen:
Here are a few of my better photos, what do you think?:D

Ok, well I'll speak to the deer photo since I shoot a lot of critters myself so it's an arena in which I have some experience. On the upside both the deer are looking at you and that makes for a much better photo. On the downside the picture is underexposed - it's too dark to really make out much detail. I would also recommend cropping this a bit differently, maybe less space above the deer and enlarging it so that the deer in the back is in the "thirds". A quick websearch on the "rule of thirds" should give you a pretty good idea what I mean by that.

All in all I'd say your off to a pretty good start, I'd recommend you do some research on composition and the rule of thirds, and also some reading on the exposure triangle - ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture so you can get a proper exposure.

Hope that helps!

Oh, one other quick thought, I'd recommend you setup an account somewhere like Flickr, you can upload your images there and then just paste the "BBCode" here in the message base so your images are linked and they can be viewed full size.

those are definitely photographs...

That's not helpful or very nice.

how is that not very nice....

Because it's the kind of thing that you say when you think something is crappy and can't think of a single nice thing to say about it. It's condescending.

If you don't like the pictures, that's fine, but if you're going to bother posting, perhaps it would be more useful - and nicer - to explain why you don't like it so the OP can get some useful information out of it.

I'm going against the general opinion about the deer photo being underexposed or too dark. I like it as is. It looks like it was taken at dusk, lit only by the remaining light in the western sky, or perhaps by a rising moon. My humble opinion.

I dunno, I think the original is too dark. Here is a really quick edit:

$deer 161 - Version 2.jpg

Most reactions

Back