Some recent Edinburgh shots by night

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are some ideas for some stock shots of Edinburgh for a student magazine here. I'm going to shoot the real things in film, medium format, but I decided to go out tonight and get a feel for the summer lighting. Dusk lasts forever, it's a beautiful thing.

Since these are just idea shots, yes I had a bunch of dust on the sensor, and yes I left it. These are unedited in any way except to make them JPGs.

908955015_1bc90461c1_b.jpg

908955077_6f1d6f7c16_b.jpg

I know this last one is tilted a bit but OH the sharpness and color contrast of the SMC Pentax M 135mm f/3.5 compared to the kit lens above:

908955101_366e4f3c98_b.jpg

Well, pity about the uncleaned dust... that is the FIRST thing I notice, and although these are only your test shots, you are PRESENTING them here, and THESE ... therefore I feel it would have done them some good to be presented with the dust cloned out.

Nice views, they make me wish I could go back to Edinburgh one day.
Apparently your holidays at home are over and you are back!?!?

The difference between the kit lens and the other is striking!
But this bit of straightening before you present us the photo would have helped, too.

Thanks Corinna. I am back in Edinburgh. I had some health issues this year at uni and I'm back to sit some exams I missed.

I'm actually on my girlfriend's computer because mine is having issues, and I don't have photoshop, so the cleanup and straighten are actually impossible at the moment.

With the last one... I thought it was straight when I took it, but then looked at it and it looks angled. But then I looked and it actually is more straight than I thought. Could still use a SLIGHT tilt back to the left, but the front face is actually angled. It's the old parliament building, and the way its built on the mount, the front face is angled really strangely.

I'm about at the point where I'd not recommend the K100D and kit lens to anyone. I think most of the dust gets in through the lens, but I'm sure it gets in otherwise too. No matter how often I clean it and how often I use the self cleaning feature, it keeps getting dusty.

The first couple for me are a bit overexposed and a little too noisy. I like the little bt of motion in the flags on No3.

I need to go back there too (only 45 minutes away from where I live)

Thanks for the input. I can understand overexposed, but noisy? Do you mean the action going on or digital noise? I didn't think they had noise like a high ISO digital shot, considering they were shot at the K100D's minimum of 200.

I'm fairly convinced I'm getting rid of the K100D soon. I'm just so put off of digital, between the sensor dust, which is always there, a photoshop cleaning waiting to happen, and the 1.5x ratio (I like wide angle and standard primes), and the fact that it's not sweet, beautiful, soulful film.

I like these shots but the last is my favourite.
Nige

Thanks for the input. I can understand overexposed, but noisy? Do you mean the action going on or digital noise? I didn't think they had noise like a high ISO digital shot, considering they were shot at the K100D's minimum of 200.

I'm fairly convinced I'm getting rid of the K100D soon. I'm just so put off of digital, between the sensor dust, which is always there, a photoshop cleaning waiting to happen, and the 1.5x ratio (I like wide angle and standard primes), and the fact that it's not sweet, beautiful, soulful film.

What I thought may have been noise may in fact not be. I was looking at the building in the first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back