some recent shooting

Raymond J Barlow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raymondbarlow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
cold, snowing, raining here today, so I spent hours catching up with my editing.. here are a few, but lots more on the website .... in here

http://www.pbase.com/raymondjbarlow/recent_photos

here is a buddy of mine.. we call him Lat... great guy, awesome photog.. here is his website... http://www.latcorreaphotography.com/

he is like me, in it for the fun.

DSC_1239572w.jpg

These are a bunch of shots from the last 2 weeks since we came back from Florida.. some from the lift bridge canal, some from from a meet with my friends Eric, and Peter, some from LaSalle Marina, and a couple from Bronte Creek.

DSC_0686533w.jpg

DSC_0700535w.jpg

DSC_0943486w2.jpg

DSC_0986555w.jpg

DSC_1316577w.jpg

DSC_1246573w.jpg

DSC_1329578w.jpg

DSC_1029557w.jpg

DSC_0798542w.jpg

these are 10 of 32 new images posted... now, back to the editing!!

You know, the thing that really blows my mind about your images is how crystal clear they are compared to most of the other bird/wildlife images posted here.

Your images are sharp. You freeze action, no sloppy camera shake or subject blur from slow optics and low ISO's, everything is tight. If you can't avoid that, you create excellent pans or take advantage of it otherwise.

Your DOF is even and natural, it's believable with now chromatic aberration or color fringing like what too many people on here get with their 70-300mm's wide open.

I'm not joking or being sarcastic when I say that you have created the absolute best bird photographs that I have ever seen on this website, technically and compositionally.

Can't say much more than Sw1tchFX, other than whenever anyone asks about bird photography I send them to your site.

Well, Sw1tchFX is saying what all of us are thinking, Raymond, but then the 7000 Dollars you invested in your lens must pay off SOMEHOW, now must they not? My 139-Euro lens just CAN NOT bring out photos of this quality. And while we keep saying that it is the photographer behind the camera and not the equipment that takes the photos (which I still claim to be true!), at some point it ALSO, and IN ADDITION to the photographer's skill, is the equipment that helps take these utterly brilliant, sharp photos that you take.

thanks everyone., your comments are very kind., this lens is awesome, a work of art on its own., it never leaves my side., the d200 camera works well with it too.

The equipment is very helpful.. but it is like golf.. I could go out and spend 10,000$ on a set of golf clubs, but if I don't know how to use them, I am not a golfer.

Wildlife photography is a difficult thing to learn, and do., I am very lucky to have extra time, and a devoted wife to allow me to pursue this hobby. It is great fun, and I always say, the best part o it is sharing these images with everyone.

To do all this, you need 1.. the right equipment., 2 get in the right position, 3 the right camera settings, shutter, aperture, iso, and focusing.. then 3 ... execute.. getting the shot at the right time, right angle, still camera, focused etc., then finally, and just as important... post processing.. this is as important as anything I do.

One thing I do that most other wildlife photogs I see don't do, is stay with a subject, and work it as much as possible. I have gone out to shoot a specific bird, and spent hours on one bird.. 50-150 frames, easily. Some days, I will be in one area, and fire 750 frames.

I do not just sit there and hold the button down, and shoot massive quantities of shots.. I pick my frame, and fire.

Also, my best learning tool is forums.. TPF is my first forum I have joined, and I now belong to 8 forums.. Canoncans images of owls 2 years ago got me started, and I have learned so much from him and Airic over the last 2 years.

ok, enough rambling.. sorry!

take care!

just awesome ray... you really are masterful at your craft... i'm glad you continue to share them with us! makes me wish i had more time to spend out in the field, but i'm living vicariously through these threads of yours!

:thumbup:

just awesome ray... you really are masterful at your craft... i'm glad you continue to share them with us! makes me wish i had more time to spend out in the field, but i'm living vicariously through these threads of yours!

:thumbup:

thanks JTH.. cool Jeep!

I used to have a 46 willys.. a long time ago., just for fun.

i just cant think of anything else to say and then i see yet another thread with pics you made.
All of them are just awesome, they really are :)

as always .. outstanding!

9 has slight sharpening halos, doesn't it?

The more I see your photos, the more I get seduced by them. I copy them on to my system and look at them for hours and get the feeling. Thank you so much for sharing them.

thanks JTH.. cool Jeep!

I used to have a 46 willys.. a long time ago., just for fun.

it took me a minute to realize that you were referring to my avatar... i was trying to remember the last time I posted a photo of my wrangler...

my grandfather still has his willys... i love that thing. They use this image on road signs around here to indicate that back roads/trails are not maintained and recommend a 4x4 for safe passage...

Ray these are the most amazing bird photos I have ever seen in my life! I love the wolves shots too. The shot where the wolf is growling at you...how the hell did you not get camera shake? LOL. And how far away from him were you?
Where do you go to take these shots? Are they all taken in Canada or do you travel to other countries too?
Absolutely fantastic photos and thank you for sharing them with us!

:hail:

Just out of interest, have you ever considered teaching wildlife photography or do you already? You must have a wealth of knowledge to take the photos that you do and my wife and I would love to learn how to take pictures even close to that quality!

Every one of these is a stunner. The light, the details, the composition, dof and refelections, all of it is unsurpassable, IMHO. :hail: x10

it took me a minute to realize that you were referring to my avatar... i was trying to remember the last time I posted a photo of my wrangler...

my grandfather still has his willys... i love that thing. They use this image on road signs around here to indicate that back roads/trails are not maintained and recommend a 4x4 for safe passage...

I would love to have mine old jeep back.. what a blast we had in the backraods with that machine! Haven't seen on around for years.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back