Somethings bugging me

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out earlier this evening to get a specific shot using a specific style and shooting from a previously scouted location. I wanted rocks to kinda frame and lead in the shot, longer exposure to show misty water and a nice looking sky with the "Mount" silhoutted, a local landmark. I have been asked for a shot of the Mount in portrait.

I have worked on this image for the past 3 hours, taking the shots and PP on the one I thought came out the best, so I now am blinded by it so to speak.

smallimg8608.jpg

The style I like is colourful landscapes as you can see in this shot, but considering that premise, is this too saturated?

Im really working on trying to get something of interest in the foreground (previously lacking) and had hoped the rocks in the foreground and the long exposed water (maybe too long) had captured this? Im not so sure myself.

The other thing that I am at a loss for is correcting the horizon, the hill that outcrops into the sea is a bay so it appears that the horizon is off slightly.

So many things I am unsure of, any thoughts or advice appreciated.

I went out earlier this evening to get a specific shot using a specific style and shooting from a previously scouted location. I wanted rocks to kinda frame and lead in the shot, longer exposure to show misty water and a nice looking sky with the "Mount" silhoutted, a local landmark. I have been asked for a shot of the Mount in portrait.

I have worked on this image for the past 3 hours, taking the shots and PP on the one I thought came out the best, so I now am blinded by it so to speak.

smallimg8608.jpg

The style I like is colourful landscapes as you can see in this shot, but considering that premise, is this too saturated?

Im really working on trying to get something of interest in the foreground (previously lacking) and had hoped the rocks in the foreground and the long exposed water (maybe too long) had captured this? Im not so sure myself.

The other thing that I am at a loss for is correcting the horizon, the hill that outcrops into the sea is a bay so it appears that the horizon is off slightly.

So many things I am unsure of, any thoughts or advice appreciated.

There is a tad bit much in the saturation I believe but it looks good, it needs to have that "natural" feel to it I think, also try lowering you camera a bit, it doesn't hurt to get a little dirty, must take sacrifices to make good photos. Keep up the work its off to a good start.

Thanks AxelMoney, couldnt get any lower without seriously risking a good splash :(

Desaturated a little, enough?

Before

smallimg8608.jpg

After

hdrlightimg8608desat.jpg

I do like the 2nd version better.

Even if the tilt is an optical illusion, have you tried adjusting it just slightly to see if it helps? My first thought was that it is tilted and didn't know any better until I read the 2nd part of your post.

I like the desaturated one. I don't think it was too long of an exposure time, either. I love the water that looks like clouds, and yours is a little less than clouds. More like frothy-looking ice? Anyway, I like it. :)

I find the rocks in the very front distracting as they look significantly brighter than any other object in the picture. I do like the desaturated look better than the original.

As far as the horizon, perhaps you could treat it like barrel distortion and try correcting it that way? I think the clouds are whispy enough that you could pull it off.

I like the 2nd version better. I agree with "bazooka", Try tilting it to straighten it out. Its a little distracting.

Had already corrected a little but from all of your comments it wasnt enough. Used some barrel distortion correction as suggested. Thanks.

smallhdrlightimg8608des.jpg

Rob
The last post is better. I understand how you are trying to get the rocks in the foreground to frame and lead towards the distance.

1. I know you said that it would be difficult to get lower. Unless you are old like me, it is not too difficult, get creative. Getting lower would definitely have helped with your concept.
Alternately, try cropping a little from the top of the shot, this may help some.

If you like the colors, that is your "feeling", you should go with it. If you are trying to stay 'mainstream" lots of PP will not work sometimes.

Rob
The last post is better. I understand how you are trying to get the rocks in the foreground to frame and lead towards the distance.

1. I know you said that it would be difficult to get lower. Unless you are old like me, it is not too difficult, get creative. Getting lower would definitely have helped with your concept.

In this case getting lower would have seriously risked getting the camera wet, a little hard to tell from the shot you can see because of the 30 second exposure is basically only letting you see a smooth surface or an average. A fair bit of random splashing going on.

When I first went to this location during the day, I had been there for 5 minutes or so looking for angles and it all seemed fairly safe from splashing, (I am a rock fisherman so I know how random waves can be) so got into position lying back on a rock to get nice and low and with my eye in the viewfinder I went to snap off a series of stitch shots and caught the moment a rogue splashed my gear!! lol, off with my shirt to dry things off.

But I do agree, lower would have been much better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back