D7K

This is the right time..
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I took a break from editing yesterday to go get the new lens. Having another crack at a couple of shots again today, this is another one from the other morning.. Sunrise just peeking in on the horizon and the city glowing beneath the clouds. The stars were pretty much invisible to the naked eye at the time and I found focusing pretty difficult due to it being almost pitch black and my better half taking off with her headlamp!

Something I am really looking forward to challenging myself with again soon, that's for sure..

Anyways, Here I was, between the day and the night, the earth and the sky...

D850 - 24mm - f7.1 - 20 seconds

Somewhere_Between.jpg

What a stunning image it is too, beautifully taken and it could be out of a Mad Max movie.

Reactions: D7K
What a stunning image it is too, beautifully taken and it could be out of a Mad Max movie.

Thanks Dave, I also thought it had some kind of other worldly feel / look to it ... Unfortunately the wife is off with her mountaineering club this weekend so I won't make it back there, but will def. try the weekend after ..

So I took a break from editing yesterday to go get the new lens. Having another crack at a couple of shots again today, this is another one from the other morning.. Sunrise just peeking in on the horizon and the city glowing beneath the clouds. The stars were pretty much invisible to the naked eye at the time and I found focusing pretty difficult due to it being almost pitch black and my better half taking off with her headlamp!

Something I am really looking forward to challenging myself with again soon, that's for sure..

Anyways, Here I was, between the day and the night, the earth and the sky...

D850 - 24mm - f7.1 - 20 seconds

View attachment 169109
Great image!

Reactions: D7K
Thanks all! Really hoping to do a little better one my next trip, but it was really amazing up there :)

This is as much a dink as anything else and should be taken as such...blue snow, like blue sand is something that has always bothered me in a scene...so it is personal preference more than some obscure rule...

To rid myself of it's properties, I use the menu item, Image-Adjustments-Match Color Neutralize which essentially removes the color cast, in this case "Blue" from the snow without affecting the blue in the sky.

mntn adj.jpg

mntn adj neut.jpg

mntn adj match.jpg

Nice tip, wasn't aware of this option in PS, but have found myself trying other methods, Cheers I'll give this a go! (as blue sand/snow) bugs me too..

First try failed :D It adjusted the entire image (inc. sky..) will require more practice.

As it got lighter, it got easier (for me) to focus, still freezing cold but I thought I'd show the next stage here as well, it was another beautiful way to start a weekend..
I know the foreground may take away from this image for some, but I liked the windswept snow dunes and the shadows they began to cast..

D850 - f/5,6 - ISO125 - 13 Seconds

Somewhere_Between_1.jpg

First, make sure you are working on a duplicate layer. If you find the adjustment takes away from the sky, add a layer mask to the layer and bring back that which you want with a black brush.

mntn w-mask.jpg

Exactly what I found myself doing, which worked great... just wasn't sure if I'd missed a step or something.. Thanks again for the tip :icon_cool:

I just bought the D-850. Should be here Thursday...woot-woot, can't wait.

I hope it lives up to expectation, It's a beast of machine, Looking forward to seeing some of your shots with it!

Most reactions

Back