Sony announced new f2.8 lenses

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ladies and gentleman, Sony is serious, it has announced 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 for its FF sensor mirrorless cameras.
Thats it I have nothing bad to say about Sony.
Here is a comment I must say

CANON AND NIKON WAKE UP OR ELSE YOU WILL BE LEFT BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!

And that new 85 1.4 looks dreamy.... I can't wait to see tests. I really hope they all live up to the hype--and the price.

I think goodguy isn't referring to them catching up on lenses, but rather on full frame mirrorless. Or in Nikon's case, APS-C mirrorless.

Sony A7 is hurting Nikon and Canon, spoke with camera sale people and they say that the A7 is really making a dent into Canon and Nikon sales, Some Canon and Nikon users are moving to Sony.
What was holding back many DSLR FF users from jumping ship to Sony A7 was a lack of these lenses, it was a big hole in Sony's offering.
This is also a sign Sony is serious about its A7 lineup.
Anyone dismissing this camera and this maker is not looking at reality.
I personally know a pro photographer moving from Nikon to Sony A7RII and he is very happy.

Last edited:
These lenses are apparently being built to specs not before seen in lenses, with big huge numbers and cool graphs with big prices to match. They may make the a7 line more attractive to users but these stable workhorse pro lenses already exist for the big 2, with fairly respected modern designs also.

What was holding back many DSLR FF users from jumping ship to Sony A7 was a lack of these lenses, it was a big hole in Sony's offering.

...and battery life, and AF speed and big primes.

I was at best buy over the weekend
walked past the Sony section and the A7s and A6x00 had BIG lenses on them from the last time I walked through. I should have stopped to check them out but was too busy trying to find a clickless mouse for my son.

The Wifi would come in handy. looks like SONY is putting all the tech into these things as they can.

I shot some indoor soccer this past weekend in JPEG on my d600 & 80-200/2.8. So for me a FF is required. The pics Came out pretty decent considering that the lighting was really bad. I wouldn't mind minimal processing before uploading the pics for the parents. though uploaded 78 of 200 pics .. kinda a lot to process through an iPhone, considering I'm in/out of the place fairly fast.

... Sony does lenses now ? I thought they only produced sensor holders and adapters ! Next they bring real cameras, then I'll be shocked !!! SCNR :allteeth:

I am not preaching to move to Sony, I am a Nikon fan but I do want to see Nikon and Canon getting into mirrorless in a serious way and not with their silly M and 1 series, Sony is getting bigger and bigger and I want both Canon and Nikon to stay here for many more years to come.

I am not preaching to move to Sony, I am a Nikon fan but I do want to see Nikon and Canon getting into mirrorless in a serious way and not with their silly M and 1 series, Sony is getting bigger and bigger and I want both Canon and Nikon to stay here for many more years to come.

Oh they will and switching to mirrorless isn't the big deal people think it is. Canon and Nikon will do just fine if they stay the course and let Sony do all the legwork in figuring out how to make a mirrorless camera that professionals want to use.

I just want to replace the Nikon vs. Canon debate with a Nikon vs. Canon vs. Sony debate.

Although I do worry that if Sony ever got the automatic respect that Nikon and Canon get that they would stop working so hard to be innovative. The thing I love most about Sony is that I can just picture them trolling the internet, waiting for people to say, "Camera manufacturers will never be able to ______" and then saying, "Screw you! Let's do it!"

I just want to replace the Nikon vs. Canon debate with a Nikon vs. Canon vs. Sony debate.

Although I do worry that if Sony ever got the automatic respect that Nikon and Canon get that they would stop working so hard to be innovative. The thing I love most about Sony is that I can just picture them trolling the internet, waiting for people to say, "Camera manufacturers will never be able to ______" and then saying, "Screw you! Let's do it!"

Sony took their time, despite public outcry, to create the 2.8 zooms that the big two have already embedded in their lineups, and because of this, they may be the best we've ever seen. But what I don't get is why they still can't figure out the whole UX/UI thing on their cameras.

Most reactions

Back