Sony downgraded to JUNK rating?

Sony has always had a difficulty with noise performance, it never really bothered me, I think when you get into the higher ISOs it's a matter of if it looks crappy or if it looks a little less crappy; high ISO never really interested me, and never did, not even when I was shooting film. But 1/3 stop less signal is what it is, and there is no way to get around this..

Sure there is. Use a slower shutterspeed, which is possible because there is NO mirror vibration.

skieur

Sony has always had a difficulty with noise performance, it never really bothered me, I think when you get into the higher ISOs it's a matter of if it looks crappy or if it looks a little less crappy; high ISO never really interested me, and never did, not even when I was shooting film. But 1/3 stop less signal is what it is, and there is no way to get around this..

Sure there is. Use a slower shutterspeed, which is possible because there is NO mirror vibration.

skieur

No. Because the compensation is done automatically at analog gain. Increasing shutter speed won't do anything when I'm already at maximum exposure!

And don't preach to me about ETTR, i'm pretty sure at this point I could write the book that topic. Plus MLU works just fine on my a700.

cosmonaut said:
I think Sony cameras are doing very well. Nikon and Canon both are losing out on a huge market by slacking in the compact area. Yeah Sony I think is about to have a full frame compact to compete with the Leica M cameras. The Leica clan will go nuts when they have a full to put their Leica glass on.
IMO The a99 is a technical marvel. If you look at how far Sony has come since the release of the a900 it's unreal. They have come a long way in a short time. The last three outing with it I had no post work to do on the final image. The exposure was perfect out of the camera.

They will never compete with Leica they will never go from Leica to Sony, you can already fit Leica lenses on most mirror less cameras and Nex

I agree! Sony and Leica?? That is like comparing KIA and Ferrari, lol!

:lmao: Now you have gone over the top! Put a Zeiss on a Sony camera and a Leica lens on a Panasonic camera and the Sony will come out on top.

skieur

They will never compete with Leica they will never go from Leica to Sony, you can already fit Leica lenses on most mirror less cameras and Nex

I agree! Sony and Leica?? That is like comparing KIA and Ferrari, lol!

:lmao: Now you have gone over the top! Put a Zeiss on a Sony camera and a Leica lens on a Panasonic camera and the Sony will come out on top.

skieur

Ok.. now you are comparing KIA to a YUGO! lol!

I wonder what Nikon will do when Sony goes under. MWAHAHAHA
17.jpg

Buy their chip making plant... or source it out... what's your point?

rexbobcat said:
Yes but the popularity doesn't necessarily prove that it's one of the best things. Take the MIDI music format. It has been used in EVERYTHING since the 80s. Not because it's awesome, but because it's about the only mainstream file format that is compatible with a lot of other things.

. I've never gone to someone's house who's like "hey dude can I borrow your Sega Dreamcast game" so why would I buy a Dreamcast if obviously nobody else I buying them. Even though they're probably just as good as the Xbox. Lol

I don't like the Xbox because if I wanted to feel like I was using PC I would use a PC. The UI and basic usability is not streamlined enough like the Playstation is for me. Even though it works fine,

Sooooo anyways.... Thread hijack again lol

REALLY DAVE? REALLY?

You think the UI of the PeeEssTriple is STREAMLINED? Are bath salts legal in Texas? (Rhetorical question, they are) Good lord.

Yeah bro, have fun playing around on the PS3 dashboard. With its 15 vertically oriented lists with almost no sub menus.

Yeah real streamlined. Much like a turd is streamlined right to the sewage treatment plant. The PS3s "OS" is like butt mud in visual form.

/rant

skieur

No. Because the compensation is done automatically at analog gain. Increasing shutter speed won't do anything when I'm already at maximum exposure!

And don't preach to me about ETTR, i'm pretty sure at this point I could write the book that topic. Plus MLU works just fine on my a700.

So what? If the compensation is done automatically, then there is no problem. There is no such thing as "maximum" exposure. With a DSLR I shot a night scene, sharp at 1/20 sec. handheld. The same shot was possible with a SLT at 1/8 of a second. A 1/8 of a second with a DSLR without softness would be a more difficult challenge.

skieur

skieur said:
So what? If the compensation is done automatically, then there is no problem. There is no such thing as "maximum" exposure. With a DSLR I shot a night scene, sharp at 1/20 sec. handheld. The same shot was possible with a SLT at 1/8 of a second. A 1/8 of a second with a DSLR without softness would be a more difficult challenge.

skieur

There is such thing as mirror lock-up.

o hey tyler said:
REALLY DAVE? REALLY?

You think the UI of the PeeEssTriple is STREAMLINED? Are bath salts legal in Texas? (Rhetorical question, they are) Good lord.

Yeah bro, have fun playing around on the PS3 dashboard. With its 15 vertically oriented lists with almost no sub menus.

Yeah real streamlined. Much like a turd is streamlined right to the sewage treatment plant. The PS3s "OS" is like butt mud in visual form.

/rant

The Xbox is also? It has those tiles that you have to scroll through, which is basically the same thing in a different form.

The Xbox has annoying UI because it reminds me of something my thirteen year old cousin would enjoy with the colors everywhere and the large words etc...

I have all of the tiles in the PS3 UI memorized, so it's much easier for me to find a certain option unlike with the Xbox where I have to scroll through the vertical options, then through the horizontal options until I find what I'm looking for.

In my opinion the Xbox is much more cumbersome from an ease-of-use standpoint than the PS3.

I also dislike the Xbox controllers' connectivity.

Playstation reminds me of Apple.
Xbox reminds me of, well, Windows

There is no such thing as "maximum" exposure[...]

You have got to be kidding me. I'm not even going to bother explaining what exposure means to you. Let's just hope Her Majesty the Queen doesn't find out about this.

Last edited:
rexbobcat said:
The Xbox is also? It has those tiles that you have to scroll through, which is basically the same thing in a different form.

The Xbox has annoying UI because it reminds me of something my thirteen year old cousin would enjoy with the colors everywhere and the large words etc...

I have all of the tiles in the PS3 UI memorized, so it's much easier for me to find a certain option unlike with the Xbox where I have to scroll through the vertical options, then through the horizontal options until I find what I'm looking for.

In my opinion the Xbox is much more cumbersome from an ease-of-use standpoint than the PS3.

The Xbox is divided into categories that are immediately accessible and viewable by hitting the guide button.

Games and apps, Home, media, and settings.

The selections on each pane are no more than 8 at a maximum, when only the home menu actually includes 8 items. The rest have 5. There is not a world of space between the selections either. That's what I never got about the PS3... Everything is SO spread out for no apparent reason.

If the PS3s dashboard relied more on text and less on symbols, included sub menus, and wasn't strictly a page of lists... It might actually be pretty nice. But as it stands there is nothing intuitive about it. You may think that the Xbox has large text, but that's the thing about design, certain important things are larger as they carry more weight on the page. Because they chose a universally accepted medium to communicate in the most effective way, language. Sony chose symbols, which IMO greatly reduces usability for users. If you think about it, your brain reads text when you see it.

You can change the color of the Xbox Dashboard so that is really a moot point.

Sony continually has bad design choices in their products. This is also apparent to an extent on their DSLRs.

skieur said:

skieur

There is such thing as mirror lock-up.

Sure but that requires a tripod, which is not necessary for the low shutterspeed with an SLT.

skieur

There is no such thing as "maximum" exposure[...]

You have got to be kidding me. I'm not even going to bother explaining what exposure means to you. Let's just hope Her Majesty the Queen doesn't find out about this.

Well, I often thought that Steven Harper: our Prime Minister was perhaps a little ........., but a Queen???:lmao:

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back