Sony DSLR

EBphotography

TPF Junkie!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was picking up paper today in Best Buy and I checked out the new Sony A1000 or whatever they call it, and I have to say I was impressed! I barely did anything with it, but it sure is a sharp looking camera!

I held and looked around with one at the local Best Buy the first day they got them in. While I didn't get a chance to do any detailed IQ tests, I was not at all satisfied with the build quality. The Kit lens feels more delicate than my Nikon 18-55 - very plasticy, not very solid at all. The body itself doesn't have the size or weight to inspire confidence in me, and the controls were a touch strange, but then again a Canon's controls feel a touch strange to me although I know they're quite usable given time.

The A100 is definetly a "starter" dSLR. It has nice specs (same CCD as the Nikon D200) and can produce beautiful exposures. Unfortunately it possess very little of the refinements that were present on the Konica/Minolta 7D - it's genetic big-brother. It is much more similar to the KM 5D in that regard.

The kit lens(es) is/are "get-what-you-pay-for" types (more like large body caps really). The nice thing about the Sony offering is that there are 16 million Minolta lenses - not to mention all the 3rd party manufacturers like Tamron and Sigma - available in the second-hand markets. An added bonus is that on the Sony camera ALL lenses are vibration reduced.

However, Sony will likely be introducing an upgrade in 2007 that will HOPEFULLY carry on some of the Minolta 7D ergonomics and feel.

fm

Hey Tiberius -

I am curious - who, for you, established the fact that the Sony A100 sensor and the one in the D200 are not the same base CCD's? Could you point me to the source which refutes the D200 10mp CCD sensor as being the same as the Sony Alpha A100?

One of my sources is a July 2006 review by Phil Askey from dpreview (dot) com and his opinion is stated in the A100 review as follows, "10 megapixel APS-C CCD - Interestingly Sony has gone for CCD rather than CMOS with this camera, so it's not the same sensor as used in the DSC-R1. We've no official confirmation but it seems likely that this is the same 23.6 x 15.8 mm CCD used in the Nikon D200."

I appreciate solid, reliable information and if i've gathered incorrect information i sure would like to have the correct, accurate source(s) for future reference.

From all that i've read (inclusive of Phil's review) - and i am not a repair tech - they are the same sensor, but Nikon applies it's own, proprietary processing methods. Sony IS the CCD sensor supplier for Nikon and that fact IS well known, published and undisputed. In fact, (pun intended!!!), this reality is the potential genesis for problems for Nikon as Sony heats up the competition in the dSLR market.

TIA!

fm

Well, I'm glad someone looked at it more closely than I, I just picked it up, didn't even take a picture. :p Good to hear other opinions.

Most reactions

Back