Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went out to fly the drone for a bit today, and decided to get a few shots of the river gorge while I was at it... While it's no great sweeping vista, I rather liked the composition of this one As always, comments, critique and suggestions appreciated.

**Edited to clarify: This image is not a drone image, rather it's one taken with my DSLR after I'd landed the drone due to high winds.
Sooke_River_Gorge_WEB.jpg

Last edited:
Drones are pretty exciting.

Joe

Cool!

loved it!

Great work done!

Nice shot tirediron!

Shooting waterfalls can be difficult. There's just a pinch of CA on the top LHS at the small patch of white water in the distance that I'd remove and I'd burn that white down a bit. I dare say the white water in the foreground might stand a bit of subtle dodging too. Could just be my eyes going through too much editing though!

Nice shot! What are you using for a camera?

Good Lord! I haven't been up there in close to thirty years, Great stuff and thanks for the memory jog.

Very nice. I can hear the roar of the rushing water.

Love it. Only thing I’d add is to maybe take it under less harsh lighting conditions sometime; would improve it a lot.

Also: don’t be afraid to try longer exposures with the drone. You can easily pull off 3-4 seconds if it’s not too windy and blur the water.

Nice shot tirediron!

Shooting waterfalls can be difficult. There's just a pinch of CA on the top LHS at the small patch of white water in the distance that I'd remove and I'd burn that white down a bit. I dare say the white water in the foreground might stand a bit of subtle dodging too. Could just be my eyes going through too much editing though!
It looks pretty good on the original file; I think most of the issues (other than the CA; missed that) are a result of the compression.

Nice shot! What are you using for a camera?
That's the D850 & 70-200.

I like it. I gotta get my passport and come visit with it getting warmer.
Well...

Good Lord! I haven't been up there in close to thirty years, Great stuff and thanks for the memory jog.
Thanks Brian; you should wander down this way one of these days!

Very nice. I can hear the roar of the rushing water.
Thanks! It's not too bad now when the water's fairly low, but come in toward the end of the rainy season in late November....

Love it. Only thing I’d add is to maybe take it under less harsh lighting conditions sometime; would improve it a lot.

Also: don’t be afraid to try longer exposures with the drone. You can easily pull off 3-4 seconds if it’s not too windy and blur the water.
That was with my DSLR, unfortunately the wind coming through that gorge, even on calm days is pretty strong, and I need to get the exposure >1/500 or it suffers motion blur As far as the lighting, I've shot it on overcast days, and it's just a bit bleah for my tastes. There's only a couple of hour window at this time of year when there's this much light due to the walls and surrounding trees.

Most reactions

Back