SOOO EXCITED!!!

Flora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Nikon D40 is coming in tomorrow, just in time for my bday! :heart: Thanks to everyone who helped in the decision making process that lead me to the D40. Can anyone tell me what basics I will need to get started? All that is coming is the camera and the kit lens(18-55mm). Thanks to all!

Nice! Make sure you've got a memory card! SD type. Other than that, just start with the 18-55. If you want to go longer start looking for a telephoto (go to 200 or 300mm generally), and if you want to go wider, start looking for an ultra-wide lens (10-12mm at their widest)

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll absolutely love it! As for extras, a polarising filter is a nice, relatively cheap accessory that can, when used right, make a big difference to your photos. A telephoto zoom lens is also good.

Still, nothing is really "essential" apart from a kit lens, a memory card and, of course, the body! :mrgreen:

Just one thing: a Camera bag. I recommend Lowepro bags. My TLZ Mini (Bag name) has been rained on (Dry as the desert inside), and slammed into walls (Not a scratch to my XT). Aka... The padding and the rain resistant material used is amazing.

Feel free to pm,

PhilGarber

All good advise. Of coarse have fun

definitely a camera bag....a 2nd battery would not hurt, either...

have fun! :mrgreen:

I'd get a UV filter, just a cheap one, for 20 dollars or less, to protect that lense of yours. I too recently bought the D40 and love it, I go out almost everyday, and once you get it you probably will too. Start out in auto mode, then read around a little bit and try apperture priority mode. Have fun! post your photos so you will get ideas on how to make them better as well.

Congratz! Mine came about 2 days ago and so far I love it! I'm sure you will too.

Something else to get would be a Polarizing filter and a UV filter.

Just as the others are saying:

Essentials: Bag, SD card and UV Filter (to protect lens)

Nice Things To Have: Telephoto Lens, Ultra Wide Lens, Polarizing Filter, Extra Battery

Congrats!
Another thing you might want to look into us the sb-400 flash.

Also check out the 55-200mm VR lens

All wonderful suggestions....the camera did slip my mind, so I will definitely be getting that asap, and the uv filter sounds like a good thing to have also. Thanks to everyone!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back