Sooooo, what about marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly could, 'though I'm willing to leave it run its course here in 'Off topic' as long as things stay polite and no one throws an ashtray at the big mirror over the bar again.

Ok, well for the record it wasn't an ashtray, it was one of those really obnoxious gold rimmed drink coasters that you guys got such a bargain on for buying in bulk. Also, I wasn't throwing it at the mirror, I was merely attempting to evaluate it's possible viability for use in frisbee golf.

It certainly could, 'though I'm willing to leave it run its course here in 'Off topic' as long as things stay polite and no one throws an ashtray at the big mirror over the bar again.

Ok, well for the record it wasn't an ashtray, it was one of those really obnoxious gold rimmed drink coasters that you guys got such a bargain on for buying in bulk. Also, I wasn't throwing it at the mirror, I was merely attempting to evaluate it's possible viability for use in frisbee golf.
Oh well, then....

I certainly hope this offends nobody, but there is not quite more I enjoy doing than getting really high and heading out with my camera. I don't smoke pot to escape any sort of reality, but more to bring reality into better view, at least for myself. I think I'm able to "see" what's around me better and to be able to appreciate it for what it is and see more of a photograph in it, instead of walking by looking for the obvious, easy picture.
By no means am I a pot-head. I am a productive member of society that has responsibilities and handles them well; I just happen to enjoy, and appreciate, the effects of marijuana when a flame is taken to it and the smoke is inhaled into my lungs.....Anybody else?

Decades ago I read a study which was printed in Downbeat magazine, I think, and had to do with the positive effects of pot on creating jazz. When musicians were asked how pot affected their performances they usually extolled its ability to enhance their creativity and performance. However, when the same musicians listened to their colleagues perform, not knowing if they were high or not, they consistently rated the performances on pot less interesting, more derivative, repetitious and just plain sloppy when it came to execution. I think recreational marijuana is fine (and fun, if I remember correctly), and it may be interesting to take photos when high and then look at them straight, but I wouldn't bet on it enhancing photographic skill or vision.

I remember that study:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...SGhfgH&usg=AFQjCNHqd3oglTCA61e8G1tML7zGiNmXfQ

I think I'm able to "see" what's around me better and to be able to appreciate it for what it is and see more of a photograph in it, instead of walking by looking for the obvious, easy picture.
This is not off-topic. I will again paste the definition of the room I originally posted in and welcome you to logically tell me how I stepped outside its borders. To make things easier for you, I changed the text you should pay attention to to red.

Photographic Discussions
A place to discuss what photography means to you: your influences, ethical challenges, abstract ideas, and other non-technical matters about photography and photographers.

WOW this thread went all over. OOF. There's still a lot of stigma against weed, but it's becoming legal in more and more places. Including here in DC now. So I'd expect this type of convo to become more common.

In the alcohol vs weed argument, I have no preference or bias toward either but I will say that you're probably much more likely to be constructively creative high than drunk...

I'm migraine for 17 years and counting!

Does it help with creativity? Who knows, who cares.

I paid way to much for my camera to touch it drunk, stoned, or without adequate caffeine dosage. ;-)
Fortunately, my camera and I are very much amateurs and would not lose too many sleepless nights if I were to damage it in some high-induced accident, but I def see where you're coming from and if I had a couple grand dangling from my neck, I might reconsider.

Don't bogart that joint, my friend, pass it over to me........................

Since you like quoting...

Yes, you mentioned photography:

I certainly hope this offends nobody, but there is not quite more I enjoy doing than getting really high and heading out with my camera. I don't smoke pot to escape any sort of reality, but more to bring reality into better view, at least for myself. I think I'm able to "see" what's around me better and to be able to appreciate it for what it is and see more of a photograph in it, instead of walking by looking for the obvious, easy picture.

But then you asked us all this question:

By no means am I a pot-head. I am a productive member of society that has responsibilities and handles them well; I just happen to enjoy, and appreciate, the effects of marijuana when a flame is taken to it and the smoke is inhaled into my lungs.....Anybody else?

It seems as though the mention of photography was merely an example or an anecdote to introduce the topic of marijuana. Then you asked a question about whether or not we like to smoke marijuana, and NOT about photography. If you wanted us to discuss the effects of mind-altering substances on our photography, perhaps you should have been more precise with your question.

I think I'm able to "see" what's around me better and to be able to appreciate it for what it is and see more of a photograph in it, instead of walking by looking for the obvious, easy picture.
This is not off-topic. I will again paste the definition of the room I originally posted in and welcome you to logically tell me how I stepped outside its borders. To make things easier for you, I changed the text you should pay attention to to red.

Photographic Discussions
A place to discuss what photography means to you: your influences, ethical challenges, abstract ideas, and other non-technical matters about photography and photographers.

Ok, well I don't really have a gallon or two of water handy at the moment, so do you think maybe we can forgo the pissing contest and strike up a round of frisbee golf instead? But we should probably go outside for that first, I guess that mirror behind the bar is pretty expensive.

I'll give it a shot:

In what way does getting high enhance your photography experience or the results thereof?

I'm perfectly serious, and it's a legitimate question relating directly to the OP.

This thread is back on the rails.

I'll give it a shot:

In what way does getting high enhance your photography experience or the results thereof?

I'm perfectly serious, and it's a legitimate question relating directly to the OP.

This thread is back on the rails.
What a second.... I have been thoroughly warned against participating in anything related to photography on tracks and rails..... I think the premise is, we could get hit by a train. Dangerous water you are treading here. Be careful my friend!

What a second.... I have been thoroughly warned against participating in anything related to photography on tracks and rails..... I think the premise is, we could get hit by a train. Dangerous water you are treading here. Be careful my friend!
I am resisting posting a video of someone nearly being smashed by a train. He was intently video-recording a different train, not watching behind him. So I'll resist posting that in this thread that is striving to stay on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back