Specialize in Geek Weddings... Viable?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm starting to realize it is hard for me to compete in the standard wedding industry. Women and couple photographers seem to be much more popular.

On top of that, I'm finding it difficult to market myself for standard weddings. All the cutesy stuff just feels fake to me, so I'm wondering if I need to pick, and specialize even further in the wedding field. Nerdy weddings, I feel, are something I could be much more passionate and real about. I'm just worries there might not be a market for it in Richmond, VA.

Thoughts?

Ok, what you have to do is read a lot of comics, manga, play video games and watch a lot of anime films ... then hit Comicon in Oct and offer your services.

So I'm starting to realize it is hard for me to compete in the standard wedding industry. Women and couple photographers seem to be much more popular.

On top of that, I'm finding it difficult to market myself for standard weddings. All the cutesy stuff just feels fake to me, so I'm wondering if I need to pick, and specialize even further in the wedding field. Nerdy weddings, I feel, are something I could be much more passionate and real about. I'm just worries there might not be a market for it in Richmond, VA.

Thoughts?
I'm not a business guru, but in my opinion, making your target clientele smaller is not the way to go.

Take a long, hard look at your product, as I suspect there is room for improvement. We haven't seen much of your wedding photography, but I seem to recall that you're just getting your feet wet, so to speak. If you can consistently wow their socks off, they will happily sign up with you, and they will tell all their friends about you as well.

Frankly, it really doesn't take much to impress the average photography customer, so maybe you just haven't arrived at that level yet.

Instead of worrying about what you're specializing in, worry about your marketing. In plain English, your SEO sucks! Neither "Richmond wedding photographer", Richmond VA wedding photographer" and "enchanted wedding photography" produced any Google results for you on page one. Searches like that are still one of the top ways that potential clients find you, outside of word-of-mouth. You need to nail your SEO, and keywording. If you're not up on how to do that, HIRE SOMEONE! If people can't find you, they're not going to hire you, and remember: People are lazy; if you're not on page one of the search results, YOU DON'T EXIST! This is especially critical for wedding photographers as you want to nail the out of town market; the people who are getting married in your work area, but don't live there.

Thoughts?
I'm not a business guru, but in my opinion, making your target clientele smaller is not the way to go.

Take a long, hard look at your product, as I suspect there is room for improvement. We haven't seen much of your wedding photography, but I seem to recall that you're just getting your feet wet, so to speak. If you can consistently wow their socks off, they will happily sign up with you, and they will tell all their friends about you as well.

Frankly, it really doesn't take much to impress the average photography customer, so maybe you just haven't arrived at that level yet.

I've been shooting weddings for 3 years. I just don't really post them here. Thanks for the feedback though.

Instead of worrying about what you're specializing in, worry about your marketing. In plain English, your SEO sucks! Neither "Richmond wedding photographer", Richmond VA wedding photographer" and "enchanted wedding photography" produced any Google results for you on page one. Searches like that are still one of the top ways that potential clients find you, outside of word-of-mouth. You need to nail your SEO, and keywording. If you're not up on how to do that, HIRE SOMEONE! If people can't find you, they're not going to hire you, and remember: People are lazy; if you're not on page one of the search results, YOU DON'T EXIST! This is especially critical for wedding photographers as you want to nail the out of town market; the people who are getting married in your work area, but don't live there.

From what I've seen among my peers, 90% of bookings are word of mouth, not online. But of course it doesn't hurt to have a powerful web presence, and that's something I'm always trying to improve.

From what I've seen among my peers, 90% of bookings are word of mouth, not online. But of course it doesn't hurt to have a powerful web presence, and that's something I'm always trying to improve.

I booked probably 2 weddings online in the 6 years that I'm in the business. However, almost all of my clients compared my Instagram against other photographers. :eek: I win the popularity contest in that game 98.23% of the time. :D

Word of mouth gets you in the door, but if the potential client can't find you on-line (again, with minimal effort; people are lazy), because most are going to look they're very likely to assume that you're not "big" enough. SEO includes ALL of your social media feeds; these need to be optimized together with your website to present a cohesive, elegant, on-line presence.

Thanks for the feedback, all. Other thoughts?

the problem with specializing is that it can give the impression that you dont (or wont) do other types of work. (i say "can" because its not necessarily a certainty)
if you have enough work within your specialized field that you dont NEED any other type of work, then its fine. if not, its not worth losing potential clients
that look at a portfolio showing only a very specific niche body of work and think that since they want something different they need to find another photographer.

some of this is dependent of course, on just how "specialized" you would be.
the more specific you get, the smaller your circle of clients become.

I don't think specializing is the correct term, however there is definitely something to be said for showing work you want to shoot. If your website is full of frilly, styled weddings then that is what you will attract. For example I rarely, if ever post a traditional posed family photo anywhere on my site, ig, etc. This is because I don't want my clients to hire me for those types of shoots. I post candids, and photos that I want to be known for. Photos that fit what I want to shoot more of. [emoji178]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I booked probably 2 weddings online in the 6 years that I'm in the business. However, almost all of my clients compared my Instagram against other photographers. :eek: I win the popularity contest in that game 98.23% of the time. :D

the other 1.77% being the dad's who can't handle a blown out sky?

@DGMPhotography you GOT to rotate that first shot off your wedding site; lead with the couple on the bridge.

the other 1.77% being the dad's who can't handle a blown out sky?

@DGMPhotography you GOT to rotate that first shot off your wedding site; lead with the couple on the bridge.

You don't like the flower shot? I suppose it doesn't show much emotion...

It's a cute shot in a set -- but being the first shot for a wedding photographer's site doesn't feel right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back