Speedlight compatibility with d3200

Ok, gotta say guilty as charged on that one your honor. Guess the whole thread where I bent over backwards to help only to be told I was .. what was it, backseat driving I think it was, left a pretty foul taste in my mouth. I'll give it some consideration though prior to replying in the future.

You made two (2) posts in that thread. One of which was only mildly snarky, and the other of which was extremely snarky. Some time after your snottier reply, hamlet made reference to unnamed "backseat drivers" which may or may not have included you. Proper princesses don't make up lies. At least not on searchable forums where it's really easy to fact check them, because proper princesses are not morons.

Ok, gotta say guilty as charged on that one your honor. Guess the whole thread where I bent over backwards to help only to be told I was .. what was it, backseat driving I think it was, left a pretty foul taste in my mouth. I'll give it some consideration though prior to replying in the future.

You made two (2) posts in that thread. One of which was only mildly snarky, and the other of which was extremely snarky. Some time after your snottier reply, hamlet made reference to unnamed "backseat drivers" which may or may not have included you. Proper princesses don't make up lies. At least not on searchable forums where it's really easy to fact check them, because proper princesses are not morons.

Might want to search a bit further back on other threads to get the whole picture, before passing judgement. Of course you could never possibly be guilty of doing to me exactly what your accusing me of doing to hammy I guess, now could you? At least for my part I'm willing to consider my actions as a whole and admit that I might not have been perfectly fair to Hammy. Looks like that's a lot more consideration than you've given your own actions, now isn't it?

IBTL ......lol

maybe if another Mod decides to.
I have taken a "no lock da threads" policy.
i am thinking that infractions and temp bans will be more effective, and will leave the thread open for further insightful comments or discussion.
apologies in advance if you disagree with this approach.

that being said, just so everyone is aware now, lets keep things civil please.
factual or informative debate is fine, just keep it above the belt.

I'm gonna need a light dispersal thing to make the light on this speedlight less harsh. Maybe an on camera softbox or one of those Gary Fong things.

It comes with a diffusion dome. Even without, the light won't necessarily be harsh.

I suggest get the flash, experiment with it, practice bouncing off the ceiling and walls, and using the bounce card. Then decide what type of modifier/accessory you might need for it.

I had the Gary Fong sphere for the flash. I used it with the dome and it was pretty pleasing. I only used it for macro so I ended up selling it bundled with my D90 and bought a mini flash head mounted soft box which has worked out much better. Although I have moved on to using a Rogue shaper/bouncer/diffuser whatever it's called for my SB-700. I'm liking the diffusion I get from it more than the Fong sphere. Granted, my use is for bug portraits.

If you ever get into some semi-serious portrait stuff looking into investing in same 60" or so umbrellas or soft boxes. I bought a 60" and 42" umbrella that I shoot through with a SB-700 and SB-600 respectively when it comes time for Christmas photos every year.

Just remember that the harshness of the light is dictated by the SIZE of the light source. Small light source- harsh light. Large light source- soft light. Those Fong things that clip on the flash head just block the light output (making the flash work harder to compensate) and scatter light in different directions without softening the overall light all that much. If they're used in conjunction with bouncing the flash of a wall or ceiling they do provide some nice direct fill light though.

Like the other guys said, if you're going to use the flash on camera ALWAYS bounce it off a white wall or ceiling to make an enourmous light source. For more control get the flash off-camera and use a large softbox or umbrella. Again, the larger the better for soft lighting.

I don't know how to set off a off camera flash.

How does a radio trigger work?

A transmitter connected to either the camera's hot shoe or via PC sync sends a radio signal (usually 2.4 ghz) to a receiver that is connected via hot shoe/PC sync that triggers the flash to fire. It's all synced up to when the shutter opens.

A transmitter connected to either the camera's hot shoe or via PC sync sends a radio signal (usually 2.4 ghz) to a receiver that is connected via hot shoe/PC sync that triggers the flash to fire. It's all synced up to when the shutter opens.

So if i put one of these transmitters on my hotshoe, i can trigger flash guns remotely simply by taking a picture on my d3200?

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back