Speedlight compatibility with d3200

Interesting to note, too, that while several people see to feel like it's OK to berate hamlet for wanting the SB910 over the SB700, nobody seems to want to explain why that's a bad choice. There's some vague handwaving about "capabilities" but perhaps someone could, you know, actually explain what it is that the 910 does that the 700 does not, so the OP can actually make an informed choice instead of simply being called a fool for wanting to make a dumb choice.

Part of me suspects that the bullies just want to bully, and don't actually know what the differences are. But I am a known cynic.

Me? I don't know what the differences are, but it looks like the 900 might allow more control of more lights from the flash unit's control panel. And, it's more powerful.

well hamham,

i cant speak on comparisons for the sb910, but i HAVE had sb24's, sb600's and sb700's to compare to the YN568EX's i got in a while ago.
I cant say enough good things about the new yongnuo flashes. TTL, HSS, easy menus...
if you are using nikons CLS infrared system to trigger your flash (if you are doing any OCF) then you have to stick with nikon...
BUT...for $180 brand new, the YN568EX's are really great flashes. I like them better than the sb600, sb700, and sb24. it is larger than the sb700 (about the same physical size as the sb24) I believe they are comparable in power to the SB900 line. (maybe give or take a little)

if you want to go with radio triggers....the YN622n's are fully TTL compatible and are $80 a pair. each trigger can be either the transmitter OR receiver.
(they go both ways, which is probably why i was drawn to them)

for $260 you can get a brand new YN568EX flash and two yn622n radio triggers. (one on camera and one off camera)
that's about what I paid for my last sb700 used!
for around the same price as a SB910 new, you can get two YN568EX flashes, and four YN622 radio triggers. that's a lotta bang for your buck.
not that i want to put you off buying a top of the line nikon flash or anything....im sure it is spectacular and all...but we have yet to reach the limits of the YN568EX's on either weddings or portraits, so i just thought i would throw that out there just so you had some options to think about.

You might as well buy the top flash unit from Nikon. My oldest Nikon flash, the SB16, is now nearing thirty years old, and it still works flawlessly. My SB-20 is not quite as old, but it still works. My SB-28DX was made in 2000, and it still works great. I look at Nikon flash units as LONG-term gear acquisitions. If you want Nikon's best, then buy their best. You get full compatibility with Nikon's wireless protocols, and extreme reliability.

Interesting to note, too, that while several people see to feel like it's OK to berate hamlet for wanting the SB910 over the SB700, nobody seems to want to explain why that's a bad choice. There's some vague handwaving about "capabilities" but perhaps someone could, you know, actually explain what it is that the 910 does that the 700 does not, so the OP can actually make an informed choice instead of simply being called a fool for wanting to make a dumb choice. Part of me suspects that the bullies just want to bully, and don't actually know what the differences are. But I am a known cynic. Me? I don't know what the differences are, but it looks like the 900 might allow more control of more lights from the flash unit's control panel. And, it's more powerful.

Hmm. I didn't know calling a spade a spade was berating.

He can search for himself the differences between the two. Not like it is hard to go to the manufactures web site, look at the feature list, and if you aren't sure what something means google it in a new window. I spent countless hours learning using that method. You can even download both manuals as PDFs and read them. I'm not sorry for expecting people to get off their rear and do at least some online research before asking questions. I did the same. Got to a point where I could t find an answer THEN searched a forum. If I still couldn't find it after a few hours then I would post up.

Have you read Hamlets post history?

I'm looking into buying nikon's sb-910 speedlight for my d3200. Will this thing fit on my cameras hotshoe and work with the camera?

oh..forgot about this question. :mrgreen:

yes. the sb910 will absolutely work fantastically on your D3200.
it is a monster workhorse of a flash.
expensive, but a powerhouse.

First off, the SB700 is about half the price and I'd argue that the SB-910 is not twice the flash. I weigh cost:performance heavily. For an introduction into flash photography, which I'm assuming Hammy is going be learning with, it's more than sufficient as a stepping-stone with minor "downsides" to that of the SB-910:

• The SB700 can control only two groups vs. three.
• it's not quite as powerful.
• it can zoom to 120mm vs. 200mm.
• it has no pc-port.

That's about it as far as differences. As someone who owns the SB700 and am dabbling in flash photography, there's nothing the SB910 would net me over the SB700 that would improve my pictures or make the task easier at this time. When I start taking pictures inside large churches and peg the SB700 at 1/1 (which I've never used to this date), or want to control three channels, or use it so much I'd want to run a battery pack, maybe I'd consider it myself.

Honestly, the SB700 wouldn't even be my first choice, it would be the YN568EX which more or less the same thing but half the cost of the SB700. I prefer the build quality of my YN560II but would like another TTL flash since I have a body that can do HSS and wireless TTL.

yes. yes.

Is there any reason you are looking at the SB910 as opposed to just the SB700? That is a really pro flash that you'll never come close to utilizing fully, even the SB700, and probably even a YN560III...

Says the guy who bought the following beginner-level stuff and is now selling it off....
Nikon D5100 (43xx clicks) + Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 $625 | SB-400 $75 | 35mm f/1.8G $150

what's your point?

My point is an old one: "Buy right. Buy ONCE"

Not, "buy low-end camera equipment, lenses, and flashes, and then sell it off when it's no longer adequate."

My point is also, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

My point is also, "People who live in glass houses ought not throw stones."

My point is that you are preaching, "Do as I say, not as I actually do."

My point is an old one: "Buy right. Buy ONCE"

Would an SB700 or something other than a SB910 necessarily be wrong?

Not, "buy low-end camera equipment, lenses, and flashes, and then sell it off when it's no longer adequate."

I purchased the SB400 in 2009 on Rockwell's recommendation; I have no use for it anymore, probably never should have bought it, but I still agree with him that's it's a nice simple flash to use for casual indoor shots. It did open up a path into flash photography for me, and my pictures improved when I used it and it made a great flash to travel with.

I purchased he 35mm in 2009 as well, is still a highly recommending and very popular lens for DX based users, I'd keep it otherwise. Same with the Sigma, which I liked very much.

The D5100 is still adequate and still a good camera. Hell people are going nuts right now over the deals on the D5000 and D3100 which are inferior.

My point is also, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

Absolutely. I never said, you should buy a SB700 or YN560, I asked WHY are you considering the SB910 over others.

My point is also, "People who live in glass houses ought not throw stones."

When was I throwing stones? Cause I asked why he wasn't considering another flash unit? Or maybe based on my progression from using the pop-up flash, to getting a light-scoop, to the sb400, to the sb700, and then the second speedlight gives me a little experience to suggest a fairly good unit to a beginner. I didn't suggest he buy my SB400, I didn't even suggest he buy the SB700, but only that it might already have features that might be above anything he may need.

My point is that you are preaching, "Do as I say, not as I actually do."

Except I asked why he wasn't considering the SB700, which I use, and still have no need to upgrade since purchasing in 2011.

Last edited:
interesting

Let's not all forget the evolution of a photographer

start out buying a "camera"
learning the ropes
buying a better camera, learning it's ropes

that's kinda the way the makers have designed their product steps. d3200, d5300, d7100, d610, d800, d4

So a 910 is a very good unit and completely compatible with the 3100.
Though it is LARGE compared to the 3100, and potentially awkward. May make holding it more difficult when it comes to balance as I read about in large lenses to small bodies.

But I think we're all offering suggestions ...
the 700 is nice and costs less
the 910 is nicer
the 400 is nice too but less capabilities
the 568ex, etc
it just depends upon what someone needs, or has the money for ...

I'm glad we don't have threads about one camera being as capable as another :p

Buy right. Buy once.

It seems like the original poster's skill level, and his "posting history" are impeding the ability of a few posters here to see the issue clearly, and without a LOT of prejudice toward the OP. The OP has come under a lot of fire in recent weeks, and it seems to me that he is being subjected to a rather patronizing, even bullying, attitude here.

The SB910 weighs in at a whopping 1.9 ounces more than the SB700. That's 55 grams more weight for the top-line flash unit! Wow. That might rip the hotshoe right off the pentaprism of a D3200 or D3100...must need an D3 or D4 to handle such a monster. Not.

Last edited:
It seems like the original poster's skill level, and his "posting history" are impeding the ability of a few posters here to see the issue clearly, and without a LOT of prejudice toward the OP. The OP has come under a lot of fire in recent weeks, and it seems to me that he is being subjected to a rather patronizing, even bullying, attitude here.

Ok, gotta say guilty as charged on that one your honor. Guess the whole thread where I bent over backwards to help only to be told I was .. what was it, backseat driving I think it was, left a pretty foul taste in my mouth. I'll give it some consideration though prior to replying in the future.

The SB910 weighs in at a whopping 1.9 ounces more than the SB700. That's 55 grams more weight for the top-line flash unit! Wow. That might rip the hotshoe right off the pentaprism of a D3200 or D3100...must need an D3 or D4 to handle such a monster. Not.

Well, that might make a difference.. you know, in a hurricane.. or if you were say, charging by on a horse at full gallop.. lol

Thank you everyone. And the reason i'm buying this expensive speedlight is because its going on sale.

Most reactions

Back