Speedlight gels

Would they work on a white paper backdrop?
Sure, no problem.
Do you think one speedlight (sb600) is enough to color the whole backdrop or do you think I need another light?
Depends on how big it is and how far away the light is from it, but generally speaking, yeah, one light will work. That said, you'll likely want a second light for your subject if you've dedicated the one you have to coloring the background.
Do they always look so neon-y?
Not if you don't want them to. It's a matter of your aperture setting and the ambient light that will also play into the mix. You can adjust from just a slight tint of color all the way to the full neon-rich color you often see.
And lastly... please post pics of your gelled backgrounds if you use them! I would love to see them!
Here's a few of mine:
Candy_7907.jpg

GiGi_7903.jpg

Casey_7356.jpg

Pepper_Drop_1042.jpg

K so just to be clear on this when you have a 9ft white seamless backdrop I can effectively light it with one Sb-600. Because I must be doing something wrong.

Is it the limited space I have with the light from the backdrop to subject distance. Granted I was trying to do a two person shot but I got wicked fall out. So what is the appropriate light to backdrop to subject distance that would eliminate this.

K so just to be clear on this when you have a 9ft white seamless backdrop I can effectively light it with one Sb-600. Because I must be doing something wrong.
I repeat:
Depends on how big it is and how far away the light is from it, but generally speaking, yeah, one light will work. That said, you'll likely want a second light for your subject if you've dedicated the one you have to coloring the background.
I made the assumption that the OP was asking about a single subject setup, likely a head shot type portrait setup or still life, but it's not limited to that.

Can we evenly light up the background of a 48 person group shot with a single speedlight? Well, duh - no. That's why I said, "depends on how big it is."

Is it the limited space I have with the light from the backdrop to subject distance. Granted I was trying to do a two person shot but I got wicked fall out. So what is the appropriate light to backdrop to subject distance that would eliminate this.
Depends a lot on your light modifier. If you need to light a big background, you'll need either a big light source (read large panels, umbrellas, reflectors or a combination of them - and yes, you can use more than one at a time with a single light source - Collins was a master at this too, and his videos show lots of those kinds of setups. It's pretty amazing actually, how he manipulated light, and how, if you think about it, you can too.), or you need more lights.

Lol thanks, so what was your set up for the people. I am talking light to background to subject distance. I have read your pepper thread. I will have to watch the video links you posted.

And for the record I wasn't trying to ornery was merely curious.

Lol thanks, so what was your set up for the people. I am talking light to background to subject distance. I have read your pepper thread. I will have to watch the video links you posted.

And for the record I wasn't trying to ornery was merely curious.
No problem. It can be difficult to "read" people over the net, so I try not to (sometimes I fail though).

The people shots in this thread were shot thus:

Gray mottled backdrop lit with a single 580EXII speedlight wearing a blue gel about 6 to 8 ft away and at an angle to it. Background about 10 feet behind subject, at the opposite angle, like this:
BlueBGPortraitSetup.jpg

So, the question was asked, can we evenly light a 6'x9' background with a single SB600 Speedlight? I decided to give it a try. As a Canon shooter, I used a 580EXII, but the results should be the same.

I set up the light 9 feet away from the backdrop, centered on it, 3 feet off the ground, in manual mode, full power. Camera was a 5DMKII with a 24-105mm lens, ISO 100, shutter 1/200.

f/4:
6x9_Backdrop-1375.jpg

f/5.6:
6x9_Backdrop-1376.jpg

f/8:
6x9_Backdrop-1377.jpg

f/11:
6x9_Backdrop-1378.jpg

f/16:
6x9_Backdrop-1379.jpg

f/22:
6x9_Backdrop-1380.jpg

And since this is about gelling it, the same sequence, but with a blue gel over the flash:

6x9_Backdrop-1393.jpg

6x9_Backdrop-1394.jpg

6x9_Backdrop-1395.jpg

6x9_Backdrop-1396.jpg

6x9_Backdrop-1397.jpg

6x9_Backdrop-1398.jpg

I'd say yes, it can be done. :)

but sometimes not spreading the color on all the background would look nice too.

I ran out of thanks ... NJ on those sample shots bucky!

I thanked him for you SL. Buckster very nice examples. Especially love the diagram super useful!!
Blue

Most reactions

Back