Splashing water

JohnTrav

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I took this photo while on family vacation last week when my little cousins all jumped in the pool. Just wanted to see what people think of it. I will have more to come once I get a chance to upload them to my computer.

$image-2189291647.jpg

Only thing I don't like about my own photo was how dark the background came out.

Let me know what you all think. C&C welcome.

Photo taken with:
Canon 7D
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
iPad (used to upload)

Last edited:
Being honest, it is just a snapshot of a big splash, nothing more.

(and I love Philadelphia, if that counts)

The_Traveler said:
Being honest, it is just a snapshot of a big splash, nothing more.

(and I love Philadelphia, if that counts)

Lol thanks.

Every picture I post people say its just a snapshot. I don't mind that being said. But how do I make the picture better. Isn't every picture just a snapshot? I'm still learning a lot. But want to get to a better level and take those pictures I see all the time on this forum site.

Learn art theory

rexbobcat said:
Learn art theory

Looks like I have some research to do.

Sometimes I feel like I see the shot and I just mess it up due to lack of experience and knowledge.

JohnTrav said:

Sometimes I feel like I see the shot and I just mess it up due to lack of experience and knowledge.

It's does take a while. The technical aspects are about 30% of the battle. Then comes the knowledge of color, composition/perspective, value (which ties into photographic lighting), and learning how to communicate your intent as a photographer effectively.

A lot of photos don't have some kind of hidden artistic meaning or intent, but they are very aesthetically pleasing. Others might not be that pretty or eye-popping, but they tell such a strong story that it makes it a great work of art. And others have a good balance of both. That's how I see it.

Your photo doesn't really draw my attention with its esthetics, and it doesn't tell an intriguing story to me, so that's why I would consider it a snapshot.

Every picture I post people say its just a snapshot. I don't mind that being said. But how do I make the picture better. Isn't every picture just a snapshot? I'm still learning a lot. But want to get to a better level and take those pictures I see all the time on this forum site.

rexbobcat said:
Learn art theory

Everybody starts out taking 'snapshots' where the picture might have huge meaning to them because of the emotional overlay and personal memories.
Eventually you will learn to be more objective about the pictures and will be able to look at them with an eye for composition, color, sharpness and intent.

So you have two hills to climb.
First, learn to handle your camera so you can get well exposed, well focused pictures.
Second, learn to see the factors that make pictures good or bad.
KMH and others have a bunch of references you can read.

Then put this learning to some use.
Don't wait until the moment to take a picture, practice whenever you can, wherever you can, until you can take the picture when the moment occurs.

Most of us have spend hundreds, thousands of hours learning to shoot so that the camera work is instinctual and we only have all the rest to do.

Just stick in there.

Like Woody Allen says, 95% of life is just showing up.

Thanks for the input!

Focusing I do need to work on. I was going threw picture I took and noticed I was focusing wrong. Beginners error.

I'll try and get more threads up with different pictures I took. I have landscape and portrait pictures I took last week.

Trust me I will be hanging in there. Photography is one of the only things I research and actually read about when I'm not at work or out taking pictures or playing sports

Most reactions

New Topics

Back