Spotted Towhees, Cedar Waxwings & American Robins

JacaRanda

Hobbyist Birdographer
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A few tweet tweets from last weekend. It's a little bit of a bummer waking up early enough to catch these guys out and about, but they leave before the Sun breaks through the morning haze. I even went to iso 1250 which is way out there for my camera.

I pretty much waited a year for these Cedar Waxwings to come back. I'm hoping I get a few more shots at them in better light.

C&C welcomed.

Towhee 1
Towhee 2
Waxwing 1
Waxwing 2
Robin 1
Robin 2
Robin 3

Very nice! I have Towhees in my yard everyday but get very few clear shots of them. They are always moving or behind cover.

Love the Waxwings. I saw some around here once a couple of years ago and none since. The only shots I got of them were long shots and not very good so I'm jealous ;)

Love the Waxwings. I saw some around here once a couple of years ago and none since. The only shots I got of them were long shots and not very good so I'm jealous ;)

I hear you. I really want a nice shot that can be printed and hoping it's not another year to wait. Hoping they are not confused by the weather here and stay around for the entire winter. It's very hard to tell what they are in flight.

Cedar Waxwing, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Cedar waxwings are one of my absolute favorite birds; they are so...Elegant looking.

Nice shots of them; and of the Towhee and Robins too. The towhees we have here are Eastern Towhee, not Spotted, but it looks like the main difference is yours are...well, more "spotted" looking. :lol:
I've gotten a few nice shots of mine, including a female that showed up for the first time this winter, but they are TOUGH because as baturn said, they tend to like to stay well hidden in the bushes, under cover.

In the spring, there are a couple of spots I can almost always find HUGE number of waxwings, but getting good pics of them is another matter. They like to stay way up high in the trees, and when one takes off, they ALL go.
I did have a few this year, ONE time, in my backyard. Hoping maybe that's a trend and they'll start showing up more.

Cool set! I didn't even know there was a spotted towhee..

Cedar waxwings are one of my absolute favorite birds; they are so...Elegant looking.

Nice shots of them; and of the Towhee and Robins too. The towhees we have here are Eastern Towhee, not Spotted, but it looks like the main difference is yours are...well, more "spotted" looking. :lol:
I've gotten a few nice shots of mine, including a female that showed up for the first time this winter, but they are TOUGH because as baturn said, they tend to like to stay well hidden in the bushes, under cover.

In the spring, there are a couple of spots I can almost always find HUGE number of waxwings, but getting good pics of them is another matter. They like to stay way up high in the trees, and when one takes off, they ALL go.
I did have a few this year, ONE time, in my backyard. Hoping maybe that's a trend and they'll start showing up more.

Exactly, they "ALL go". I get that silly little slump in my shoulders of disappointment :grumpy: Ah man, not another year... The Waxwings make me think of aliens or some sort of coneheads.

Really nice set. :thumbup: I've only had one towhee ever show up in my yard and he didn't stay long. The only time I've ever seen Waxwings, it was a big flock of them at a nearby lake, and they were just too high up in the tree to get any good photos.

Most reactions

Back