Sure...of course this is a fantastic image for various reasons. But there is one interesting aspect that I think is worth discussing in further detail: it’s not easy to effectively use imbalance as an element in a composition. At first look, the empty space on the right seemed out of place, and acted as a sort-of sink hole for the viewer. However....there’s more going on than that! You must look longer and let yourself sink into it for a while. The element introduced on that side is significant, and very cleverly used. It’s not a blank space, or dead space...it’s actually a high point, and on top of that spot is TON of potential energy waiting to be released, and really acts to contain the eye to the left side of the frame. The potential energy adds tension, and is very cleverly used here. The right side adds context to the main subject, which is obviously the reservoir (acting in tandem with the sun to some degree, of course). An intersecting photo for sure.

Totally agree Charlie. My first impression wasn't one of empty space. I noticed two color contrasts, one between that deep dark blue and the orange water and the other between that deep dark blue and the warm tones in that knife-like ridge. That deep blue seems the anchor that allows the eye to keep moving through the image, as you said.

Truly impressive work Vieri, the eye moves through frame to where you want due to your choices of color and luminosity contrasts.

Hello John,

thank you very much for your comment and your kind words, much appreciated indeed, I am glad you enjoyed my composition and the use of colour / light to strengthen it :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Most reactions

Back