Starting Out Professionally!!!

Jesschica83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HI, I would like to become a professional Photographer, I have already Put some of my Photos in contests and have won best photography of 2010 and 2011, I have started My Portfolio and have my camera and editing software. I know the basics. I have had professional photographers check my work and so far so good. However, I would like to work with a photographer for a while before I just go on my own. I am not sure how to find photographers that are looking for help, I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this.

You want to find a local mentor, which can be difficult because they usually want you to sign a non-compete so they aren't basically training thier replacements. What exactly do you need help with?

The best thing you can do is ask local photographers to take you on as a second shooter. Often those jobs aren't paid, but they will be invaluable in what you learn from the mentor!!!
You are headed down the right road as far as shooting goes.
While you are shooting for the other photographer and getting your shooting time in you also need to be thinking about all of the business end of this-which is far more complicated than learning photography. Here is some general info on starting a business and will give you lots to do while you are finishing up your photography education!

What sort of photographer? Wedding? Fashion? Journalism? The mentorship/second-shooter route is good for weddings, family portraiture, etc, but not so much for PJ and other disciplines.

My brother in law hung out on 'The Knot" a lot and got several gigs as a second shooter without too much effort. Granted, that's weddings, but if that's a thing you're interested in there is an avenue for you there.

Google or use local directories to find photographers in your area who are in the type of photography you are looking to enter.
Then contact them directly asking about jobs assisting or as second shooter etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back