Starting out! WOOHOOO

amber_martin05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hey everyone, i havent really posted anything because well, i didnt have my camera yet!! haha, i know seems a bit premature to join a forum BEFORE actually getting the materials. BUT I was having a super hard time deciding on a Nikon D60 or a Canon rebel xs, i've been scouring website reviews! and i've decided to get the Canon. I managed to find it for only 30 dollars over the nikon price and it's slightly better based on the reviews i've read. what do you all think? step in the right direction? i believe so! i'm super excited to get started and i'm apologizing ahead of time becuase i'll more than likely be asking for opinions and advice.. ALOT! haha thanks for any imput you guys have!

Congrats on the new camera. Post some pics.

I love Canons, and I shoot with one myself. But it is a little late to ask advice on camera shopping after you've purchased the camera.

yeah i think i wasnt clear, i still haven't ACTUALLY bought the camera... but i'm rearing and ready to! i was just gonna see if anyone had a suggestion or thoughts on either one of the cameras

yeah i think i wasnt clear, i still haven't ACTUALLY bought the camera... but i'm rearing and ready to! i was just gonna see if anyone had a suggestion or thoughts on either one of the cameras
The D60 has better overall RAW image quality, wider dynamic range, better high ISO performance and generally costs less then the XS. Image Quality comparison data is here.

You should note that the D60 doesn't not have an auto focus motor in the camera body but the XS (1000D) does, (Nikon puts the auto focus motor in the lenses). However, Nikons kit lenses are generally rated as performing a bit better Canon's kit lenses.

In all honesty though, Canon offers more prime lenses than Nikon and Nikon's lenses tend to cost a bit more than Canon's.

That matters because which ever body you get will likely determine which brand you use for many years once you have invested in a selection of lenses

hey everyone, i havent really posted anything because well, i didnt have my camera yet!! haha, i know seems a bit premature to join a forum BEFORE actually getting the materials. BUT I was having a super hard time deciding on a Nikon D60 or a Canon rebel xs, i've been scouring website reviews! and i've decided to get the Canon. I managed to find it for only 30 dollars over the nikon price and it's slightly better based on the reviews i've read. what do you all think? step in the right direction? i believe so! i'm super excited to get started and i'm apologizing ahead of time becuase i'll more than likely be asking for opinions and advice.. ALOT! haha thanks for any imput you guys have!

Used Nikon D80 for 500 bucks from BHPhoto. To me a much better deal than either the D60 or the Rebel XS. I actually have used all three, and the D60 and the XS are damn near the same camera in feel and performance. I like how the XS has a dedicated ISO button, but do not like how there isn't a dedicated manual focus point selector. Menu options and display modes were pretty much similar to offerings on the Nikon.

Still, neither can touch the D80.

I am also looking for a new camera. What would yall get. My friend has a Canon Rebel XS, I know there is a XSi out now also. i have also been looking at the nikons. Any suggestions? Kathy in Texas

I am also looking for a new camera. What would yall get. My friend has a Canon Rebel XS, I know there is a XSi out now also. i have also been looking at the nikons. Any suggestions? Kathy in Texas
I have my eye on a D3 for my sports shooting and a D3X for my studio.

Bestbuy.com has Nikon's D200 on special right now (online orders only) for only $600. When this camera was first released it cost nearly $2000. This is probably the best camera deal in America today.

The D200 is a semi-professional camera and has better image quality that the consumer level Canon XS or newer XSi.

The D200 has a metal body and weather sealing, the Canon's have plastic bodies (break easy if dropped) and no weather sealing.

The D200 has Nikons built-in off camera flash triggering system CLS. With the Canon camera's you have to buy remote triggers to do the same thing.

The D200 can shoot 5 frames per second, the XSi can only shoot 3.5 frames a second.

My suggestion is to take a good look at the D200. Bestbuy keeps moving the price of the D200 between $600 and $680.

that was SUPER good information! thank you guys for the replys. now heres another... I am planning on doing this for year and years to come. I was curious, if i decide to upgrade my camera after so long, will the lenses i've already bought fit my new camera? like Nikon lenses fit all nikon cameras and canon same? or are they all camera specific?

Get the D200 at BB for $599 right now.

Canon had a special on the XS a few months back when I got mine. It was $499.00 US with the 18-55 IS kit lens and the 75-300 (non IS) telephoto. Adorama, B&H and Amazon all had them at that price. I have been watching lately and have not seen them for anywhere close to that. So it pays to watch the web and shop around. I am pleased with my XS so far but am a newbie and it is more for a hobby then anything else.

that was SUPER good information! thank you guys for the replys. now heres another... I am planning on doing this for year and years to come. I was curious, if i decide to upgrade my camera after so long, will the lenses i've already bought fit my new camera? like Nikon lenses fit all nikon cameras and canon same? or are they all camera specific?
Yes, unless Nikon or Canon come out with cameras with a different mount.

Well one other qualifier for Canon cameras. "Canon designers have taken steps to ensure it is physically impossible to mount EF-S lenses on EF-only cameras. This is because the increased proximity of the lens to the sensor means that on full-frame sensor or 35mm film EF cameras the lens itself would obstruct the mirror's movement and cause damage to the lens and/or camera." (Wikipedia).

Nikon uses the F-mount (since 1959).

Canon has the EF-mount (since 1987). "EF stands for "Electro-Focus": automatic focusing on EF lenses is handled by a dedicated electric motor built into the lens." (Wikipedia)

Then "In 2003, Canon introduced the EF-S lens mount, a derivative of the EF mount that is strictly for digital EOS cameras with a 1.6x crop released after 2003. All other EOS cameras that only have an EF mount will not mount EF-S lenses." (Wikipedia). Before the EF-mount they used the FD-mount so if you are looking at old Canon lens (made before 1987) be careful.

Comparing the D200 to these other cameras is like apples and oranges, and I definitely would not say the D200 has an image quality that absolutely surpasses the D60 or Canon XS (at least at low iso settings). People have to remember that the sensors in these bodies aren't all unique, and in fact are shared amongst several cameras.

With that said, the D200 is a good bargain at 600 plus tax; although I would look online (Craigslist and eBay) where you can find them for around 500 or so if you look hard enough.

I have my eye on a D3 for my sports shooting and a D3X for my studio.
What does this have to do with anything related to what Kathy asked?

Bestbuy.com has Nikon's D200 on special right now (online orders only) for only $600. When this camera was first released it cost nearly $2000. This is probably the best camera deal in America today.
If you don't mind yesterdays technology. The D200 is also known for being rather limited when compared to newer models. It uses a CCD sensor which isn't known for its high ISO performance. But the price is good right now because it's a dead product and Nikon has moved on to the much improved D300.

The D200 has a metal body and weather sealing, the Canon's have plastic bodies (break easy if dropped) and no weather sealing.
You say this like Canon doesn't make a metal bodied camera. The Nikon D40, D60, D80, D5000 and D90 are all plastic bodied and are just as likely to be broken if dropped. But then have you dropped a D200 lately? Are you saying you can drop a D200 and not break it? In the Canon line, only the Rebel models are plastic, everything else is magnesium framed.

The D200 has Nikons built-in off camera flash triggering system CLS. With the Canon camera's you have to buy remote triggers to do the same thing.
No, you don't. Using Speedlite's, Canon can easily trigger remote flashes without the need for wireless triggers. The CLS system has more features, but you misrepresent what the Canon system can do.

My suggestion is to take a good look at the D200. Bestbuy keeps moving the price of the D200 between $600 and $680.
The D200 is a good buy right now, that's for sure. You can say it's a great deal on an older model without spreading misinformation about other brands though.

Last edited:
Well one other qualifier for Canon cameras. "Canon designers have taken steps to ensure it is physically impossible to mount EF-S lenses on EF-only cameras. This is because the increased proximity of the lens to the sensor means that on full-frame sensor or 35mm film EF cameras the lens itself would obstruct the mirror's movement and cause damage to the lens and/or camera." (Wikipedia).

Nikon uses the F-mount (since 1959).

Canon has the EF-mount (since 1987). "EF stands for "Electro-Focus": automatic focusing on EF lenses is handled by a dedicated electric motor built into the lens." (Wikipedia)

Then "In 2003, Canon introduced the EF-S lens mount, a derivative of the EF mount that is strictly for digital EOS cameras with a 1.6x crop released after 2003. All other EOS cameras that only have an EF mount will not mount EF-S lenses." (Wikipedia). Before the EF-mount they used the FD-mount so if you are looking at old Canon lens (made before 1987) be careful.
How does this have anything to do with Kathy's situation?

The EF mount came about because in the film days mounts/lenses weren't engineered to house digital components. Canon decided to redesign the mount system and put the AF drive in the lens. This was industry leading, Nikon took until 1991 before they decided they also needed to get the AF motor out of the body and into the lens. They argued for years that Canon's system was inferior because it would drive the cost of lenses up. Ironically, Nikon lenses cost more than Canon lenses. Anyway, Nikon came up with the AF-I and AF-S lenses which mount the AF motor in the lens body just like Canon - 4 years later.

The nice thing about the EF mount is that its large enough to mount Nikon F lenses, Olympus OM, Leica R and M42 lenses with adapters.

I doubt Kathy will hit her local Swap-O-Rama looking for 30 old Canon FD lenses for her XS, so this once again is a non-issue.

The Canon Rebel can mount ALL current Canon lenses, EF-S or EF. There isn't a lens in Canon's line-up that will not work on a Rebel XS. That's not true with Nikon. With the D40 or D60 you have some lenses that will work completely including autofocus and you have others that will mount but won't autofocus. You also are very limited in the number of affordable 3rd party lenses you can buy that will have autofocus capability too. Many unknowning buyers don't realize this until after they've bought their camera and find out later they'll have to spend a mint on the most expensive Nikon lenses to have autofocus capability on their entry level camera.

Now, if Kathy were thinking about buying a $2,700 5DMkII or a $4,500 1DMkIII she might have to worry about mounting entry level lenses on her professional grade camera. Yes, EF-S lenses without modification will not work on a professional series camera. But then most professionals buy professional grade glass for their cameras so this isn't an issue.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back