Stout Irish Rock

Have you listened to the "Drop Kick Murphys?" A bit heavier but still very Irish.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

This is a song by Blaggards called, "Foggy Dew." I used to go and see these guys a lot in Austin.

You bring back memories. I used to go and see the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem in New York, including one magical New Year’s Eve at Birdland (!) where the lineup included Herbie Mann, Miriam Makeba, and the Clancy Brothers!
“Comin’ Home Baby”, South African click songs, and “Finnegan’s Wake“ all in one night!

Have you listened to the "Drop Kick Murphys?" A bit heavier but still very Irish.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of them but I'll check them out.

I'm listening to "Smash S*%# Up" right now ... I like them!

Last edited:
I don't know if people would make that connection; I wouldn't. I have some Irish ancestry and like this type music, but what happened for years there is mystifying to me what all the violence was for, I don't remember ever hearing all that much about it over the years.

"It coud be now or then we will fight once again,
For the things that our grandfathers fought"!

So we can both do music that stirs the soul. Unforunatley, sometimes it crosses a boundary. I'm sure your OP was innocent. But I do find even connotations of support for the IRA difficult. Yes it's music, but the IRA put IEDs in my country. Innocent people were hit with nail bombs largely funded by this kind of Irish "patriotism" in the USA.

Sorry, there weepete, I meant nothing by it. How can I know whether a song is going to hit a nerve with someone? I suppose if I were closer to the ordeal I might've been sorely affected by the lyrics as well but as is, I'm just a guy that's far removed from it. I only see the lyrics as a tale of something that happened long ago between two kings and the peoples of two countries and a desire by a few people present day still hanging on to the dream of having Ireland returned to it's former glory. I won't go into the politics of it, that could start a whole new war .... and I don't want to fight with anyone. I've already had one silly fight recently and that's enough.

Sorry, there weepete, I meant nothing by it. How can I know whether a song is going to hit a nerve with someone? I suppose if I were closer to the ordeal I might've been sorely affected by the lyrics as well but as is, I'm just a guy that's far removed from it. I only see the lyrics as a tale of something that happened long ago between two kings and the peoples of two countries and a desire by a few people present day still hanging on to the dream of having Ireland returned to it's former glory. I won't go into the politics of it, that could start a whole new war .... and I don't want to fight with anyone. I've already had one silly fight recently and that's enough.

Sorry mate, just me being a tool. I shouldn't have posted that and I apologise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back