Straight out of the box shots with my new T2i. C&C wanted.

jeff_scott

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sold my Sony Alpha A500 and purchased a Canon 550D (T2i). These are the first shots right out of the box with the kit lens. My settings varied from f3.5 to f5.6, but I stayed consistent at a 400 ISO and normal exposure. All shots were taken with natural light only and in aperture priority mode. Composition was almost non existent since I was simply following my kiddo around and snapping shots.

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Last edited:
The rest.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

Last edited:
I would love to comment, but there are just too many. I feel a bit overwhelmed when looking at them all, because I like to give opinions on each photo.

please post a few more.

p!nK

He's a cute little kid, so you ought to try and help convey that by showing him as "a little kid", within his environment. In the 22nd photo, you turn the camera to portrait orientation, and show him head-to-toe. Bingo!!! There he is...an entire little kid..wearing cute little Thomas The Tank Engine tennis shoes, and a tee shirt that says "whiz kid" on the front of it. Short pants, chubby little legs, clambering up onto a playground structure.

If you want to get a large head size, and a clear expression, and still show his hands and some of his body and clothing, you need to turn the camera to the tall orientation more often. It's possible to follow one's small child around and actually work on composition, and Tip Number One is to hold the camera in portrait mode more often than horizontal or landscape mode. Try and include both hands in the shots. MIx in some half-body with some full-length shots. On about 20 of the shots, the pictures that resulted from a horizontal camera orientation are duller and less-interesting than you would have gotten if the camera had been rotated.

Yikes! Wayyyy too many pictures, and all very similar in composition. I understand he's a very cute little boy and you're excited to get your new camera, but maybe narrow it down to a few favorites ;)

I suggest you learn to edit. Not post process, but edit. That means to go thru all those that are similar and dump all but the one that is best. Few people besides the kid's family want to see twenty shots that are nearly identical. Look at them side by side, compare, consider, decide which one (ok maybe two)you think is best, tweak it in PP and put it up for consideration. Again, most people dont want to sift through multiple shots that are nearly the same. My 2 cents.

Thats alot for CC so cant do it. Looks like you will be enjoying your new snapper and some are ok shots. Like said before shoot tall not wide. :)

Wow, bunch of vultures. Ok we get it, he posted a couple more images than expected, get over it.

Firstly, welcome to the forum Jeff and congrats on your new buy! I could most definitely understand the excitement you would have over your new camera. When i got a new camera, i would just take photos of everything and anything.. it's good, have fun with it :)

As stated above, learning about editing is a good idea. Distinguishing between a good photo and a bad photo is rather important, just to save space, time and whatnot. but hell, if you love them all, then you keep them, its your son. ;)

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys and gals. Yeah I know there were a lot of pics and I wasn't really looking for CC on all of them, feel free to pick a couple that standout to you and CC from there.

I'll take the actual advice and run with it, I appreciate it guys.

Edit: Cut down on the total overall number so hopefully this will do instead.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back