Strobe as fill light, CC appreciated

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tried my hand at some fill light with the strobe the other day outside. Any thoughts on how to improve? It seemed like it was either too much or not quite enough. I had a hard time finding a good balance. I upped the shadows a little in post as well to help out. I also learned some new focusing modes on my camera after the photo to help with landing my focus in the future which I had a hard time with as well. Anyway, rip it apart. I would love to re-shoot and improve!

Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

I like it, and I think you've done a good job, but I think a bit more flash would have made it even better. Adding one stop more flash and knocking the background down that bit more would have nailed it.

I think the blacks are too high...I want to see the sunlight's color on the thigh area, and see the shadowed side a bit darker, more-saturated, with the shadows heavier. Focusing on simple garments like that in shade can be tough if the focusing bracket falls on smooth, single-color fabric, so right where the scoop of the neckline meets the chest skin works pretty well as a high-contrast edge target, and also gives about the right DOF placement on a woman provided the f/stop in use is a sane one (meaning closed down to at least f/5.6). In a word, I think the amount of fill is too strong, either digital fill or flash. I can't tell how much of the fill is shadow lightening in post or flash. Maybe some split-toning in processing would give the desired effect, making the shadow side more-orangey and the sunlighted,highlight side left alone?

Thank you for the comments! How do you gel a flash properly? Im using an Alien Bee 800/1600

@Derrel Ill post the un-edited photo this evening when I get off of work and Ill play with the editing a little as well

Here is the un-edited photo:

I agree with tirediron. A bit more fill so you could have brought more color into the background.

Most reactions

Back