Strobe troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Lighting and Hardware' started by kanticoy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. kanticoy

kanticoy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I apologize if I am doing this wrong. I'm new on here and I'm trying to figure how this community works.

I need some help troubleshooting my strobe light. When I turn the unit on, the light bulb flashes but when I push the test button or try to take a picture, it doesn't flash. It only flashes when I turn the unit on. Does anybody have any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks!

2. Vtec44

Vtec44 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Brand and model?

3. kanticoy

kanticoy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I would check the fuse, make sure it's still good. You might have already done that. Sad to say, but this type of monolight does not tend to have a really long life. Replacements are in the $49-$69 price class if needed.

You do not mention HOW you are triggering the light; hard-wired PC synch cord? Optical slave? Radio trigger? Infrared trigger; the triggering mechanism/fire-command chain is one area that the problem could be in. I would try another, different method of triggering the flash unit, to see if there might be a solution.

The optical slave might be defective, or turned OFF; the PC synch outlet might have a bad connection; the master flash might not be synchronizing with the optical slave due to TTL flash issues.; CORDS can always have bad connection, and each cord has TWO ends, plus TWO connections!

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Is it the the modeling light or the flash tube that's flashing when you turn it on? I'm not aware of any type of strobe that does that, so it sounds like a malfunction to me, and given the price, I would concur with Derrel - just replace them.