Stuck on lens choices (Tamron or Sigma)

b_purkiss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've been searching for an all around lens. Mainly I like shooting vehicles or people at family events/cottage stuff. Right now I have a Rebel XS (clearly nothing special) with a 50m 1.4 and then the stock lens. I had the following list of lenses:

Sigma 24-60 F2.8
Sigma 17-50 F2.8-4 OS HSM
Sigma 18-50 F2.8 EX DC Macro
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Tamron 17-50 F2.8
Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC
Canon 17-85 IS USM

That was the initial list. After reading through this forum, I've narrowed it down to either the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC or the Sigma 18-50 Macro. Thoughts? All of them on the list are in my $500ish price range with a good warranty, I'm just not sure what to pick as I have zero experience with either of these brands.

In this case I would recommend you to buy Tamron. It has fair output for reasonable price.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I've used the Sigma before (albeit briefly) and its a very nice lens. It's a good weight, doesn't feel too 'plasticky' and the AF is accurate and doesn't hunt too much, tho with no HSM it's not as quick as a USM Canon. Wide open its slightly soft, particularly in the centre, tho not to a massive degree. At 5.6 and above its fine throughout. There is slight barrel distortion at 18mm, but that's to be expected. All in all a decent lens for the money.

uhoh..what did u go with. Ive heard bad reviews about the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC. Aparently the non VC has better picture quality.

I would also reccomend taking a look at lens that isn't on your list - Sigma 17-70/2.8 :)

I just got the Sigma 17-50mm to replace my stock Canon 18-55mm, and so far I like it. It's a solid standard lens. It has an f/ 2.8 aperture through the entire focal range from 17 to 50mm, up to f/22, and the AF is very quiet.

Have a lot of experience with Tamron, Sigma and Nikon glass. My recommendation in general is IF you are willing to test and tune, then you can get very good results with 3rd party glass for a lot less money. IF you are not willing to test and tune, stay with your camera manufacturer's glass. Tamron sells the Tap-In and Sigma sells the dock for a reason.

The resources I use to research glass is DxOMark.com, PCWorld.com and KenRockwell.com

IT'S A DECADE OLD!!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back