Studio lighting and Nikon

dennyr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need a Digital SLR that i can rope to a Windows Inspiron 5000 Series laptop.
The Nikon 5300 seems to be "Well Respected" .
Is there any big reason not to buy this Nikon and pair it with my Dell laptop.?
I realize this can be a huge question, so i am trying to limit it to just the Nikon 5300 if possible.
YEARS ago i had a little experience assisting a Commercial Photographer and he used Polaroid to check things.
I cannot imagine that Polaroid (for this application) is still economical.
I am just starting to play around with Studio Lighting again, and would love to have a Digital SLR to see how things look in the frame after the strobe(s) fires.
Thank You

what's the ultimate question here?

Check the "tethering" software to make sure, but as far as I know it will work. When you purchase your camera, it will come with a download cable that will connect the camera to a computer, but it's not very long. However, you might be able to purchase a longer cable aftermarket.

As to the "unstated" portion of your question; the Nikon D5300 is a capable camera, but it is one of Nikon's "entry level" cameras, and as such, it lacks certain features that professional photographers find useful or desirable. Depending on your budget limitations, you might consider stepping up one step to "enthusiast" level. Even if you must limit yourself to a used D7100, for instance, you will be satisfied with that move.

Good luck!

what's the ultimate question here?
From my OP.........

Check the "tethering" software to make sure, but as far as I know it will work. When you purchase your camera, it will come with a download cable that will connect the camera to a computer, but it's not very long. However, you might be able to purchase a longer cable aftermarket.

As to the "unstated" portion of your question; the Nikon D5300 is a capable camera, but it is one of Nikon's "entry level" cameras, and as such, it lacks certain features that professional photographers find useful or desirable. Depending on your budget limitations, you might consider stepping up one step to "enthusiast" level. Even if you must limit yourself to a used D7100, for instance, you will be satisfied with that move.

Good luck!
10-4.
Thanks for the info.
I have access to some teachers at my local college. I might ask them this question.
Thanks Again

Most reactions

New Topics

Back