Studio Lighting at Home?

ErinP709

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was watching some tutorials last night and I realized that I might be able to set up a studio-type lighting situation in my basement without spending a huge amount of money.

I currently have 2 Canon Speedlites (580EX & 430EX). Can I purchase some inexpensive softboxes or umbrealls and stands to make this work?

Any help would be appreciated. Please also direct me if there are any threads already out there on this topic.

**Please note that I am not actually setting up a studio in my basement and I have no intentions on making any money by doing this. I am simply interested in playing around with the gear I have and learning.

Yes, you can use what you have with a few modifiers... (umbrellas, softboxes, gels, or whatever...)
THIS
is what I use. I am very happy with it... They also offer THIS at a little bit less money...

Here is an example of the results...

2010_11_29_IMG_0844.JPG

Last edited:
You can usually get some inexpensive lightstands / adapters / umbrellas as a kit. I understand that that Amazon won't ship to Canada (or so a Canadian said in another thread).. but I believe both B&H and Adorama will ship there.

Something like this.... SP Studio Systems Off-Camera Flash Accessory Kit SPOCFAKIT B&H

The simple answer to your question is yes.

20110815 by Compressed Memories, on Flickr

I am extremely new to photography. I've owned a DSLR for a month and this was from the first "photoshoot" I had after building a softbox out of cardboard, tinfoil, duct tape, cfl bulbs and a y adapter and a 9 dollar walmart lamp. The softbox cost me about $2 dollars to make. If you include the lamp and bulbs I already own, then $12. I hung up black cotton cloth on my living room wall, sat my wife in a chair 5 feet away from the wall and this was the result. No, the pic is not professional or even good, but if I could do that with $2 worth of materials, a very small working space and a month of experience... then you should have no problem doing it in a basement with actual equipment.

Thanks Everyone!! No Amazon does not ship to Canada but I live close enough to the boarder that I can have items shipped to a USPS outlet and zip down to pick them up. I appreciate the help!

Head to any large camera store - you can pick up inexpensive umbrellas and brackets which will allow you to use your flash on a tripod as a light stand, or you can pick up lightstands. You can DIY all of this for a few dollars, or for <$200 have enough gear to use your speedlights and make some pretty nice shots.

Neither of the kits cgipson1 linked to have light stands that can extend high enough. You really want a minimum of 8 feet.

So I recommend the following for using speedlights - Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

Umbrellas are much less expensive than softboxes and eventually you will want to have both. Plus you'll need a variety of sizes of both.

To use speedlights you'll need softboxes designed for use with speedlights, like Westcott 28" Apollo Speedlite Kit for Shoe Mount Strobes.

If you opt for studio strobes, a good starter kit is Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit and part of the reason I recommend that kit is that the lights are compatible with Elinchrom Speedrings. Speedrings are used to mount softboxes, and there are many kinds of speedrings out there.

Plus Elinchrom makes good lights in case you later decide to upgrade from, or add to, the Genesis lights. Professional Lighting Technology | Elinchrom

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow... this is awesome.

hahaha.. just trying to help. My Amazon search skills get me in trouble a lot.. the UPS and FEDEX guys love me, says I keep them working! lol!

Neither of the kits cgipson1 linked to have light stands that can extend high enough. You really want a minimum of 8 feet.

Why do you want a minimum of 8 feet?

It provides much better lighting, makes the shadows and highlight on the faces look more natural (that is the short version! lol!) ! It also helps to minimize the subject visible shadow behind them.

I was picking out the least inexpensive sets.. and also if you will use them primarily in your house, most ceilings are not going to allow proper height (especially with an umbrella attached). I actually consider these sets disposable... if you improve enough, that you need better equipment.. then you will also know what it is you need. These are strictly low end beginner sets.. that can then be passed on to other aspiring photographers.

I should have also commented that better, more expensive equipment will be better in the long run... as it will have more versatility as your skills improve.

You can actually get decent lightstands for around $40-50 each, umbrellas of various types for $10 and up to ridiculous amounts... and basic flash / umbrella adapters for around $20 each. So for around $150 to $200 you can actually get a decent kit that you won't outgrow.... if you would rather have something like that.. let me know, I will post some links! (the ones Keith posted would be much better than the ones I posted, for instance)

You might also want to consider something like this....

Lightstand 28 Flashpoint Heavy Duty Pro 9' Air Cushioned Black Lightstand, 5/8" Top Stud with 1/4-20" Screw Thread

a list of umbrellas sorted by price:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Flash%2FLighting&cat2=Universal Light Controls&cat3=Umbrellas&sf=Price

good Flash/Umbrella adapter SMA1000 Photek SMA-1000 Shoe Mount Umbrella/Light Stand Adapter

Kieth makes a good point about softboxes and studio lights.. but since they can get expensive for good ones, you would probably want to shoot umbrellas with flash as a start.. but that is up to you and your budget! :)

They may be better, but it's also the difference of hundreds of dollars. Me personally, I would rather pay $50 less and just put the stands on a milkcrate to get better height. I'm verrrrry cheap lol.

So you can essentially build a better quality set up for a few dollars more then?

Most reactions

Back