Studio opening up 2 doors down from me. :(

Oh, I'm laughing, crying, bewildered all at the same time. I went and talked to a few neighbours and let them know thats not me. They all got a chuckle.

Time to get on the signage though!! Stat!!

Came back to the studio today and saw this:

I was going to wait for sinage until I was ready for business, but I think I may have to get a move on. I might puke.
What if people think this is me? OMG.

My dear, I don't think you have a thing to worry about. My only advice (which I'm sure you've already thought of) is to put your best work hanging in your front window. Judging from EVERY item of note in that picture, they definitely aren't the highest quality joint in town. The pictures, signage, table, the quotes around the word "free"....ALL OF IT SCREAMS AMATEUR. Or worse...Walmart.

The only people who will hire this "studio", if you can even call it that, were never going to be your customers anyway.

Chin up. You have nothing to worry about.

You mean it screams "Best Buy Pro" don't you? I missed the holes, but I'm guessing that sign has been used a LOT which makes me think that my theory of fly in, do a crap load of crappy portraits and blow one step ahead of the BBB and RCMP is probably the case.

True.

There is this new trend, at least around here, that are dubbed "pop-up brick and mortars" where temporary small businesses set up shop in vacant retail spaces. It's n interesting concept.

Sorry Rub, but why aren't you laughing your ass off?

It doesn't look like they even have a computer to layout and print "decent" signage.

Look at all the duct tape and nail holes on the front sign and the nasty table.

Screams pro, doesnt it? :biglaugh:

You mean it screams "Best Buy Pro" don't you? I missed the holes, but I'm guessing that sign has been used a LOT which makes me think that my theory of fly in, do a crap load of crappy portraits and blow one step ahead of the BBB and RCMP is probably the case.

Holy crap, when did tired become a site moderator?

:lol:

Today!

The best business advice I ever got:

Mind your own business, let the other guy run his, himself

If I had some windows facing the street and haden't already, I'd be displaying some nice, big, framed, wall size prints in them.

Looks like one of those marketing tactics where they collect everyone's name and phone number in the "draw", then calls them to say "sorry, you didn't win, but while I have you on the phone, would you be interested in setting a a session any ways?"

It's cheesy marketing that I've seen done in the car business/at home shows before and this set up made me think of that.

I don't think you really have anything to worry about. Just believe in the quality of your work and the rest will work itself out.

Rub... your work is awesome! Gorgeous! This looks like no competition at all.. it will probably let people see the true difference between GOOD and BAD... and be a plus for you in the long run! :)

There is only one way to beat free! You pay people when you take their pics! :)

Rub, neighbor dude looks legit, can you drop my info in the box for me? Thanks!

Oh, I'm laughing, crying, bewildered all at the same time. I went and talked to a few neighbours and let them know thats not me. They all got a chuckle.

Time to get on the signage though!! Stat!!

Good idea on the sign. Here are a couple more tips for you to consider with your new business and 'competition'.

1. Don't compete on price. There will ALWAYS be someone either 2 doors down, 2 streets over, or across town that is 'cheaper'. If you chase that clientele, you will both be out of money, and competing in the gutter for demanding customers that neither value your time or expertise, want both but don't want to pay for it.

I'm not advocating simply charging 'the most', but if you charge a premium (and deliver the goods) your business and bottem line will thank you.

2. Don't bad mouth the competition. Ever. It simply makes you look foolish and petty. It's one thing to make serious competitive differences known (comparing service, post production services you offer and they don't etc). Quite another to simply badmouth them.

3. Pay your new neighbor a visit. When I used to be in sales I would visit the competition quite frequently. Just walk in and see what they are all about. Get a feel for what they offer. Take any literature they have out to study (that would be available to customers). You don't have to keep it a secret either. Introduce yourself. Sometimes it's good that they know you are 'watching' them. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back