Stupid question.. but a serious one

ceejtank

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey,

first off I would like to preface this by saying it is a legitimate question, not intended to be offensive.

So I'm photographing a graduation party for a friend this weekend, and it occurred to me. I have never photographed a primarily non-caucasian event before.

This might be a stupid question- however for darker skin tones most of the pictures, should there be any setting on my camera that I would have to adjust (ISO or anything, it's an indoor event at night, so I will be using flash and seeting my AWB to flash, I also have some lights that are tungsten that I use the tungesten setting for)

I apologize if this question seems ignorant, that's not it's intention.

Thanks for helping this idiot out.

I would think that skin color shouldn't really matter the concept should be the same. Shooting indoors is shooting indoors. I would recommend a hot show flash, slightly higher ISO and good glass with at least a 2.8f.

I can't offer you an answer, but would like to point out that your question is indeed valid. I remember reading an article in Pop Photo (or alike) a number of years ago about Kodak offering different forumulations of film (specifically Portra, IIRC) in different markets (e.g., India vs. N.A. and Europe)...the different formulations were purported to be optimized for desirable rendition of skin tones within the targeted market.

Thanks for the responses. I know how to shoot indoor photography, but wasn't sure if there was anything specific I should be taking into consideration. I know it's a bit of an odd question. Thanks for the help guys.

First off, try and avoid mixing light sources. If you're going to mix flash and tungsten, gel the flash to match the tungsten. For the skin tones, add 1/3 - 2/3 stop EC and you should be fine. If in doubt, shoot two-shot bracketing sequences.

Yeah, I will never use the flash and the lights at the same time. Sorry I might be blanking.. EC = exposure correction?

Right. Sorry long weekend/monday pretending to be tuesday. Thanks for the tips. Appreciate it!!

The girl I bought my first camera from told me she had a facebook page for her photography so I checked it out when I got home. Almost all of her clients were black, and I noticed that the highlights were blown in almost every photo. I think she was exposing for darker skin tones which caused the whites to be blown. It was especially bad if the skin was really dark and the shirt was white.

I've also noticed in other photos with light and dark skinned people in the same shot that one or the other doesn't look quite right.

I can't offer any advice on how to fix it, just wanted to say that your question makes sense, lol.

Would post-processing with the dodge tool potentially be the answer here?

Thanks KmH - I will read those tonight after work. Much appreciated.

The girl I bought my first camera from told me she had a facebook page for her photography so I checked it out when I got home. Almost all of her clients were black, and I noticed that the highlights were blown in almost every photo. I think she was exposing for darker skin tones which caused the whites to be blown. It was especially bad if the skin was really dark and the shirt was white.

I've also noticed in other photos with light and dark skinned people in the same shot that one or the other doesn't look quite right.

I can't offer any advice on how to fix it, just wanted to say that your question makes sense, lol.

Yeah, I have seen similar examples also. A recent pic I saw involved a friend that was very dark (philipino who also tanned a lot) next to a bunch of pasty white people. The philipino was perfectly exposed but everyone else was overexposed.

I dont have time to review KMHs links, but I have seen similar write ups on how to properly post process for different skin tones. So I know tutorials are out there.

Most reactions

Back